Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Obama/Biden worthy of four more years

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM
  • 11 Replies

Obama/Biden worthy of four more years

President Barack Obama and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney finished their second debate on Tuesday, Oct. 16.

While President Obama came across as tepid and uninterested in the first debate, he was enthusiastic and confident in the second, following a strong debate performance by Vice President Joe Biden.

Biden provided much needed passion against the Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan. He pointed out a hypocrisy of the Romney-Ryan ticket by explaining Ryan’s two opinions of the stimulus. Ryan criticized the stimulus package as unnecessary government spending, yet requested and received money for his home district from the White House. Biden also confronted the assertion that the President’s policies would be bad for small businesses because 97 percent would see no changes to their taxes.

Biden articulated that the most important job of a sitting president is keeping the United States safe and secure. Obama has done just that by ending the Iraq war in a responsible manner and refocusing the fight on al-Qaeda, which executed the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Both presidential candidates stated in the debate that they support Pell Grants, but Obama’s commitment to higher education goes beyond that. He recognizes the need for student loans because he utilized them himself. Through his AmericanGraduation Initiative, he has proposed that community colleges partner with employers to create programs that re-train workers for jobs that exist now. This will build an economy that supports the middle class and allows students who may have dropped out of school to get a second chance.

While Obama cited his stimulus package as a major achievement toward growing the economy, what often goes unmentioned in these national debates are the ways this has impacted research institutions that rely on federal funding. The Recovery Act and the Obama administration’s commitment to the federal support of research has brought to date $41.8 million to UR. This money was invested in science and technology that keeps the country competitive in a global market and builds an economy that strengthens the nation in the long run.

Although the President agreed with an undecided voter during one of  the debates that times are tough and that the middle class has been hurting in the past decade, he presented a straightforward plan to restore the middle class. This will be accomplished by investing in education and manufacturing while using the savings from ending the wars to reduce the deficit in a balanced manner.

The reason why supporters and undecided voters alike were rejuvenated by Obama’s spectacular performance in the second debate was not his challenging yet respectful demeanor, nor the fact checking by the moderator. It was the promise that he would keep his commitment to higher education and keep America secure.

Obama has proven time and again that he is working his hardest to fight for the middle class and bring this great nation on the path to recovery. He deserves a second term and is counting on our support.

http://www.campustimes.org/2012/10/18/obamabiden-worthy-of-four-more-years/

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM

TFS

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:24 AM
2 moms liked this

He's done a decent job in my opinion and definitely deserves another 4 more years. Just because everything he's done is not front and center news, doesn't mean he hasn't done anything. Yes, we still have a long way to go but people really are ignorant if they think that everything could have been accomplished in 4 years. Yes, he should have attacked the outsourcing and job situation sooner but like even Romney said, the government is not a job creator. They establish laws that help employers decide which direction to take. Employers that outsource should not receive benefits and should have strong penalties for doing so in order to make them think twice about it. I will add that in my husband's line of work, which has been outsourced since 2000 (computer consulting), employers are  beginning to rehire americans and rather than outsource so the job market is beginning to move again. Further, the economy has been making positive changes, especially in the housing field, which is important because if houses begin to move, then thee's more constructions jobs along with other jobs associated with it which is extensive. 

nomadbrat83
by Amanda on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Well that's your opinion lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Yes:)

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

TFS

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM
He has done a wonderful job and I hope for another four years!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Why????   He has not done anything that he promised the first time around, he has made the ecomomy worse!  I surely don't want him around for another four years.  He needs to get out and move on!  

mom2jessnky
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for Sharing.

Lurion
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

For me these accomplishments are enough, especially in light of the fact that the Republicans blocked everything he proposed: 

Appointed two female, pro-choice supreme court justices

Healthcare reform

Lilly Ledbetter act

Bin Laden

Pre-existing conditions reform 

Repealed DODT in the military

And on a personal note, I would probably be dead today if it weren't for Obama! When he took office I had just been diagnosed with advanced stage breast cancer and my husband had just been laid off work. If Obama hadn't changed COBRA laws to help cover the premiums and make our insurance company keep us with my pre-existing condition, our insurance would have been $1700 a month and we wouldn't have been able to afford it. Even though my husband found another job quickly, there is a 3 month wait and again--the pre-existing condition thing. These are the kinds of "real-life situations" that I don't feel Republicans seem to get. 

My (now-ex) husband and I have always worked hard, full-time, I am a college grad and he has a strong trade. We never took handouts, consider ourselves capable and responsible for our own destiny. Somehow we've been assigned to Romney's 47% of deadbeats...

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

Why????   He has not done anything that he promised the first time around, he has made the ecomomy worse!  I surely don't want him around for another four years.  He needs to get out and move on!  

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I believe he has accomplished quite a bit under awful circumstances and no thanks to the republicans who fought him on EVERYTHING, every step of the way.  If you thought he was going to snap his fingers and "fix the economy" in one term, you clearly do not understand just how deep in the toilet this country was when Bush left office.

SpiritedDragon
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

So things such as females being on the supreme court, I agree with.  The health care...  I am not keen on for all aspects of the position.  Why would you want the newest health care reform "obamacare" where Dr's chose who gets what?  These are the things I don't care.  It's not up to people to chose if my family members live or die?  As far as the Lilly Ledbetter Act what does that have to do with OBAMA?  That was something that was dealed with back in the late 90's.  I agree with the equal pay for equal work.  

Bin Laden - he didn't even execute the order right away.  He states, he did it, yes, he finally excute the order.  That's it.  The military is who did the dirty work.  He is trying to cut down our military forces.  What is the deal with that,  how many have your friends and family served?  I know for damn sure, that I don't want my ex husband out on a limb trying to find a job, when he is 5yrs shy of retirement. But they want to cut people because of $$$.  He deserves that.  My kids deserve to keep their benefits their father has earned, to help raise and keep his kids safe.  I served my country, and proud of it! 

As far as the DADT in the military.... trust me it was never hidden, I know that first hand.  We didn't talk about it, but that doesn't mean you hid it.  It depends on what command you were at.  As far as being open about your sexuality, the military didn't make a huge issue about it unless you were being inappropriate.  Their are rules and guidelines in the military....  even with opposite sex relationships!  You sign the contract given up your body to your country.... don't bitch about things.  You knew when you signed up!  

But like everyone states they each have their own choices when it comes to this election.   If these are the reasons your voting for him again.  I will gladly state, that he is not my choice.  There are several things about him, that is not what I want for the future of my kids.  

Quoting Lurion:

For me these accomplishments are enough, especially in light of the fact that the Republicans blocked everything he proposed: 

Appointed two female, pro-choice supreme court justices

Healthcare reform

Lilly Ledbetter act

Bin Laden

Pre-existing conditions reform 

Repealed DODT in the military

And on a personal note, I would probably be dead today if it weren't for Obama! When he took office I had just been diagnosed with advanced stage breast cancer and my husband had just been laid off work. If Obama hadn't changed COBRA laws to help cover the premiums and make our insurance company keep us with my pre-existing condition, our insurance would have been $1700 a month and we wouldn't have been able to afford it. Even though my husband found another job quickly, there is a 3 month wait and again--the pre-existing condition thing. These are the kinds of "real-life situations" that I don't feel Republicans seem to get. 

My (now-ex) husband and I have always worked hard, full-time, I am a college grad and he has a strong trade. We never took handouts, consider ourselves capable and responsible for our own destiny. Somehow we've been assigned to Romney's 47% of deadbeats...

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)