Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Anybody annoyed??

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM
  • 23 Replies
3 moms liked this

With the Super Storm Sandy?  I dont remember them offering us free gas when Hurricane Andrew hit?  I was grateful when they made the Turnpike free!  I get that they got hit more than they expected but they also didnt prepare as they should and most just brushed it off like they werent going to get hit.  Did celebrities do commercials to get us help during the many hurricanes that has hit Florida??  Yeah I dont remember that at all!  I guess we dont get all nutty when a hurricane hits because unlike them we start preparing months in advance of hurricane season.

Rant over.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:47 AM

We were actually just talking about this yesterday too.  We got NO help when Ivan hit us up here in the panhandle.  FEMA came around my area about 3 weeks after the fact and did offer us to replace food, but by then we had already taken care of that.  The only thing I can say is that I hope next time they will be more prepared.  They really should have watched the show "It could happen tomorrow", they had an episode that showed almost the exact storm. Keep safe, we only have approx. 3 weeks and hurricane season is over.  yeah!

Mommytolas
by Tricia on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:04 AM
6 moms liked this
Well the thing is they did prepare down the shore as best as possible anyways without the means to prepare for something like this. They only get Nor'easter up there which don't have the force this hurricane did. You can't prepare a house that wasn't built to withstand a storm like this. And the people in,the city weren't told to evacuate until after the public transportation was shut down. I lived in the city for ten years and never owned a car it makes it pretty hard to get out. All those flooded basement are apartments and stores and restaurants. So not only do they have no food and electricity they have no way out and no where to go. It's 38 degrees at night and they have no heat for their kids. I would hope they would get a little extra help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Gas may not have been free but celebrities as well as just normal people were there to help. The people up north did not prepare well because hurricanes normally do no hit. If you have not experienced a hurricane, you don't know how to prepare. Many of the residence stated when Irene came through it wasn't bad so they decided to stay. Many are regretting that but we cannot kick people when they are down. Too many people lost possessions and lives. One Mom lost her two children because she could not hold onto them during a surge. She is going to be haunted by that thought every day. What she needs is our prayers.  Another man almost lost his life when his vehicle was swept away with him in it. For those who want to criticize the actions of others, please don't because you never know when something horrific may happen to you.

PS My family survived without lost of life or property, thanks for asking

leighp1
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Quoting RLSMOM59:

PS My family survived without lost of life or property, thanks for asking

Thank goodness your family was okay.  My family, who also live in the north, farred well too.

Please understand I am truly sorry for anyone and everyone that lost a friend, family, house, property.  I live the threat of this happening to me every year.  I am one of the ones that actually said to my friend when she was complaining that they needed the help, just like we do when it hits us.  The only thing I meant to get across is that it is interesting to see the different reactions to different places.  New York is such a popular place, New Orleans, is such a popular place, Pensacola/Navarre, not such a popular place.  I think it is great to have people raise money for the ones that lost things. It shows they have a heart.  Just wish they were here for us when we lost things too.

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM
They need to input regulations on the coast up there like we have down here for hurricanes. If they ha building codes and stuff like we do here then they might not be so bad off. Just because they live up north doesn't mean they're immune to hurricanes so they should put all the same precautions in place that we do, but they don't. That's my opinion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Yes! I was talking to my dh about this.They had no benefit to raise money for fl.We didnt have power for a week.I guess we are nobodys

mamadeayz
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM
4 moms liked this

Hi.  I'm in NJ and happened to find myself in the Florida group.  I am sorry you're annoyed.  I certainly remember a lot of attention and news coverage when Andrew hit, but, of course, the perspective is different when you're on the ground.

A couple of things: if they were giving away free gas, maybe they made a big deal about it on the news, but I never saw any of it, and neither did any of my desperate neighbors.  I did wait 5 hours last week to get $35 of overpriced gas (that I was only allowed to pay for in cash).  No one offered any food to replace what we lost.  I have had no help whatsoever and I have not seen FEMA anywhere.  Remember the news only shows a small percentage of what's going on.

I was out of power almost a week.  My mother, who is getting older and has a back problem that prevents her from moving around a lot, still has no power. It was below freezing last night but she refused to leave her home and her dogs.  And, while I don't think it's productive to compare "my" tragedy to "your' tragedy, I can tell you that being without power in 30-something-degree weather is probably a different experience than being without it when it's 70 degrees outside.  Until you've had to watch your children cry and ask you when it's going to stop being so cold in their house, maybe a little compassion would be in order.

No, we were probably not so prepared for a hurricane to hit our region, since that, historically, has not been the weather we've gotten.  (But, no, climate change isn't happening.  Eye roll).  You won't hear a peep out of us when we get a foot of snow, because that we can handle and do handle on a yearly basis.  (I'm sure if a foot of snow hit Florida, that might cause some unexpected problems that everyone would pay attention to). 

I sent donations after Andrew, I sent donations after Katrina, and I deeply empathize with anyone who has suffered during a situation outside their control.  I have gotten off much easier than most.  I think of that mother on Staten Island whose two children got washed away by storm waters while she watched helplessly, or those people who lost everything in Breezy Point, Queens, and I count my blessings. 

I think the last thing anyone needs right now is an "us" against "them" mentality.  Natural disasters are terrible, and if there is one silver lining to them, it's that they're usually a time when everyone pulls together.

Thanks for your understanding.  May you be free from all harm in Florida and everywhere.

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad you are all safe! We all down here know first hand how rough hurricanes can be. I sure hope they start implementing some changes up there in case this ever happens to you guys again.

And we can empathize with the weather bc when we have hurricanes it's not 70 degrees out, it's usually 95, with extremely high humidity and high heat index. And being in a house doesn't help because its usually even hotter in the house than outside. I've been through numerous hurricanes where we went days without electricity in the middle of July. All our food went bad because of the heat, no way to make ice, none for sale, no way to cool off. So our weather without air easily compares to your freezing without heat. It's miserable either way. And I would wish it upon no one!

I hope everyone up north can get back to normal as soon as possible. Been praying for you all :)

Quoting mamadeayz:

Hi.  I'm in NJ and happened to find myself in the Florida group.  I am sorry you're annoyed.  I certainly remember a lot of attention and news coverage when Andrew hit, but, of course, the perspective is different when you're on the ground.

A couple of things: if they were giving away free gas, maybe they made a big deal about it on the news, but I never saw any of it, and neither did any of my desperate neighbors.  I did wait 5 hours last week to get $35 of overpriced gas (that I was only allowed to pay for in cash).  No one offered any food to replace what we lost.  I have had no help whatsoever and I have not seen FEMA anywhere.  Remember the news only shows a small percentage of what's going on.

I was out of power almost a week.  My mother, who is getting older and has a back problem that prevents her from moving around a lot, still has no power. It was below freezing last night but she refused to leave her home and her dogs.  And, while I don't think it's productive to compare "my" tragedy to "your' tragedy, I can tell you that being without power in 30-something-degree weather is probably a different experience than being without it when it's 70 degrees outside.  Until you've had to watch your children cry and ask you when it's going to stop being so cold in their house, maybe a little compassion would be in order.

No, we were probably not so prepared for a hurricane to hit our region, since that, historically, has not been the weather we've gotten.  (But, no, climate change isn't happening.  Eye roll).  You won't hear a peep out of us when we get a foot of snow, because that we can handle and do handle on a yearly basis.  (I'm sure if a foot of snow hit Florida, that might cause some unexpected problems that everyone would pay attention to). 

I sent donations after Andrew, I sent donations after Katrina, and I deeply empathize with anyone who has suffered during a situation outside their control.  I have gotten off much easier than most.  I think of that mother on Staten Island whose two children got washed away by storm waters while she watched helplessly, or those people who lost everything in Breezy Point, Queens, and I count my blessings. 

I think the last thing anyone needs right now is an "us" against "them" mentality.  Natural disasters are terrible, and if there is one silver lining to them, it's that they're usually a time when everyone pulls together.

Thanks for your understanding.  May you be free from all harm in Florida and everywhere.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Up north is not the same as down south and the do have building codes. In fact, Florida didn't have strong building codes until Andrew hit. Many of the houses up there are made from brick, not wood. The houses have basements because the area is well above sea level, and in the history of the states, there has never been a storm of that magnitude to hit that area.

Now if you ask the people if they prepare for blizzards and massive snow storms then they know what to do. Would you know what to do? Would you know to have chains handy, cat liter, rock salt, blankets, food and water in the trunk of your car? What about anti-freeze type?

When major storms hit it is news and there are always people there to raise money and help.  The reason you are seeing so much of it is because it is an anomaly. The area is about to get hit with another storm but this will have nothing but cold weather. The leaders are trying to get the people to evacuate but where are they going to go? Finally, most people don't want to leave for fear someone will steal what little they have left.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

They need to input regulations on the coast up there like we have down here for hurricanes. If they ha building codes and stuff like we do here then they might not be so bad off. Just because they live up north doesn't mean they're immune to hurricanes so they should put all the same precautions in place that we do, but they don't. That's my opinion.

slw123
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

My husband and I were talking about this too.  We were hit by the 3 back to back hurricanes in 2004 and were out of power for WEEKS.  We didn't get shit.  Well that's not totally true.  The Nat'l Guard gave out ice and water one day out of all of those weeks.  And Charlie was a complete surprise to us, it didn't do what was predicted at all.  At least they knew up north what conditions to expect.

But I can't really be too upset about it.  They need the help.  At least we didn't have to deal with freezing temperatures, etc.  (just sweltering).  We saw a lot of the good in people, neighbors helping neighbors and all that.  We made it through and we are a lot more prepared for next time than we were back then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)