Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

With the Super Storm Sandy?  I dont remember them offering us free gas when Hurricane Andrew hit?  I was grateful when they made the Turnpike free!  I get that they got hit more than they expected but they also didnt prepare as they should and most just brushed it off like they werent going to get hit.  Did celebrities do commercials to get us help during the many hurricanes that has hit Florida??  Yeah I dont remember that at all!  I guess we dont get all nutty when a hurricane hits because unlike them we start preparing months in advance of hurricane season.

Rant over.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I don't know why you quoted me because I didn't say anything against what u said. I have no problem with then attention they're getting at all. Or the help. I just said I hope they start setting some hurricane standards like they do here (for the safety of the people there) I know that we didn't have those codes in place until after Andrew (I was here). It takes a big storm to make something happen. All I was saying is that I hope this was the big storm wake up call for the north. They need to be better prepared in the future. there was negative in my comment at all so no need to get all defensive. And I do know what it's like up there. Both of my parents were born and raised in NY and we still have family all over up there. I've visited many a winters up there so yes, I do know how it is. Again, not sure why you quoted me. My comment was directed at the future and that I think the government should work on better preparing the north for these storm.

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Up north is not the same as down south and the do have building codes. In fact, Florida didn't have strong building codes until Andrew hit. Many of the houses up there are made from brick, not wood. The houses have basements because the area is well above sea level, and in the history of the states, there has never been a storm of that magnitude to hit that area.

Now if you ask the people if they prepare for blizzards and massive snow storms then they know what to do. Would you know what to do? Would you know to have chains handy, cat liter, rock salt, blankets, food and water in the trunk of your car? What about anti-freeze type?

When major storms hit it is news and there are always people there to raise money and help.  The reason you are seeing so much of it is because it is an anomaly. The area is about to get hit with another storm but this will have nothing but cold weather. The leaders are trying to get the people to evacuate but where are they going to go? Finally, most people don't want to leave for fear someone will steal what little they have left.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

They need to input regulations on the coast up there like we have down here for hurricanes. If they ha building codes and stuff like we do here then they might not be so bad off. Just because they live up north doesn't mean they're immune to hurricanes so they should put all the same precautions in place that we do, but they don't. That's my opinion.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I quoted you because we are agreeing to disagree. Have a wonderful day.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

I don't know why you quoted me because I didn't say anything against what u said. I have no problem with then attention they're getting at all. Or the help. I just said I hope they start setting some hurricane standards like they do here (for the safety of the people there) I know that we didn't have those codes in place until after Andrew (I was here). It takes a big storm to make something happen. All I was saying is that I hope this was the big storm wake up call for the north. They need to be better prepared in the future. there was negative in my comment at all so no need to get all defensive. And I do know what it's like up there. Both of my parents were born and raised in NY and we still have family all over up there. I've visited many a winters up there so yes, I do know how it is. Again, not sure why you quoted me. My comment was directed at the future and that I think the government should work on better preparing the north for these storm.

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Up north is not the same as down south and the do have building codes. In fact, Florida didn't have strong building codes until Andrew hit. Many of the houses up there are made from brick, not wood. The houses have basements because the area is well above sea level, and in the history of the states, there has never been a storm of that magnitude to hit that area.

Now if you ask the people if they prepare for blizzards and massive snow storms then they know what to do. Would you know what to do? Would you know to have chains handy, cat liter, rock salt, blankets, food and water in the trunk of your car? What about anti-freeze type?

When major storms hit it is news and there are always people there to raise money and help.  The reason you are seeing so much of it is because it is an anomaly. The area is about to get hit with another storm but this will have nothing but cold weather. The leaders are trying to get the people to evacuate but where are they going to go? Finally, most people don't want to leave for fear someone will steal what little they have left.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

They need to input regulations on the coast up there like we have down here for hurricanes. If they ha building codes and stuff like we do here then they might not be so bad off. Just because they live up north doesn't mean they're immune to hurricanes so they should put all the same precautions in place that we do, but they don't. That's my opinion.

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Except (like I said) I never disagreed with anything you said

Quoting RLSMOM59:

I quoted you because we are agreeing to disagree. Have a wonderful day.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadyBast
by Brenda on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes to be honest I feel the same as you do, I remember 04 and all of the hurricanes we had no power for a week hot as hell here, and no FEMA no power/gas not a thing, so yes I am so upset over this and in 04 we had so many hit us.. We lost our house and had black mold growing and no one cared we had to fight the Ins to get the house replaced and Ashley had seizures so much then... My father is the one who got hit by Charlie he had just had a stroke and was in the hospital a few months before Charlie, they lost their home and could not get back home the Island was closed... Sigh.. Rant over here too but yes I am so not happy what about FL!  Sorry but I had to vent some about this no one will listen to me here :(

LittleBirdFly
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I didnt know they get free gas?

LadyBast
by Brenda on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Me either, we had to drive to even find any gas since we had no power for such a long time!

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

I didnt know they get free gas?

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's the thing. Florida has hurricanes every year. Not one but several. Floridians are more prepared because they know what to expect. Our homes are essentially built better to withstand those storms. I do remember many other states helping and assistance for those who needed it, however, even our category 5 didn't affect us as badly as their category 1 simply because theirs was A: A wet hurricane, causing severe flooding - B: They don't know how to prepare for a hurricane - C: They are also dealing with cold weather - D: It wasn't expected to be so bad. Let's face it. A category 1 in Florida is NOTHING.. lots of wind. Hell.. Some people even go to work and very, very few prepare in Florida for a Category 1. 

For Floridians to compare themselves to what happened is ludacris due to many factors. I have been in several hurricanes being a Floridian most of my life and living in South Florida. Sorry, not even the one that cost me to be without electricity for 3 weeks while pregnant in 2004(?) was this bad. There were 3 that year if I recall. With the last one, I had to sleep at the hospital because I was 39 weeks and immediately after the hurricane, I gave birth to my son. I was also there for Andrew.  The one in NJ/NY appears to be as bad as the New Orleans situation where many lost their lives and the bodies of babies were left on the streets. 

No... I'm not annoyed for the same reasons you are. Personally, I'm more annoyed, angered, disgusted with the inhumanity of the man who failed to allow that mother in his home with her 2 & 4 year olds, essentially contributing to the death of the boys. I'm upset at the mother for not evacuating with two young lives at risk. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I 100% agree.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GOBryan:

Here's the thing. Florida has hurricanes every year. Not one but several. Floridians are more prepared because they know what to expect. Our homes are essentially built better to withstand those storms. I do remember many other states helping and assistance for those who needed it, however, even our category 5 didn't affect us as badly as their category 1 simply because theirs was A: A wet hurricane, causing severe flooding - B: They don't know how to prepare for a hurricane - C: They are also dealing with cold weather - D: It wasn't expected to be so bad. Let's face it. A category 1 in Florida is NOTHING.. lots of wind. Hell.. Some people even go to work and very, very few prepare in Florida for a Category 1. 

For Floridians to compare themselves to what happened is ludacris due to many factors. I have been in several hurricanes being a Floridian most of my life and living in South Florida. Sorry, not even the one that cost me to be without electricity for 3 weeks while pregnant in 2004(?) was this bad. There were 3 that year if I recall. With the last one, I had to sleep at the hospital because I was 39 weeks and immediately after the hurricane, I gave birth to my son. I was also there for Andrew.  The one in NJ/NY appears to be as bad as the New Orleans situation where many lost their lives and the bodies of babies were left on the streets. 

No... I'm not annoyed for the same reasons you are. Personally, I'm more annoyed, angered, disgusted with the inhumanity of the man who failed to allow that mother in his home with her 2 & 4 year olds, essentially contributing to the death of the boys. I'm upset at the mother for not evacuating with two young lives at risk. 

Yeah that disgusted me too and you can tell he was lying when they asked him about it!  Yeah I am required to work during a hurricane and have driven during hurricanes many times.  Obviously I am not happy that they had to go through this or lives were lost but they will know better next time to be prepared.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I think the help is needed and very much appreciated. I do not remember Andrew and was in another state but wasn't there help then too?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)