Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

With the Super Storm Sandy?  I dont remember them offering us free gas when Hurricane Andrew hit?  I was grateful when they made the Turnpike free!  I get that they got hit more than they expected but they also didnt prepare as they should and most just brushed it off like they werent going to get hit.  Did celebrities do commercials to get us help during the many hurricanes that has hit Florida??  Yeah I dont remember that at all!  I guess we dont get all nutty when a hurricane hits because unlike them we start preparing months in advance of hurricane season.

Rant over.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (21-23):
greenchic
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:48 AM

yea but this is an election year and every opinion of the government counts....alot!

lukee
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Sad to see bitterness over someones distress --in reality nearly every hurricane that has caused great damage has gotten people involved with helping those affected--we have many more in FL than most but in having been affected so often we have made changes --such as underground wires, and shelters prepared to take in many folks with things in place to provide food etc. Never expect it to be a walk in the park but due to history we have become better prepared --am betting as these storms come often to other areas they too will be better able to deal with its damage and inconvenience. I do not wish hardship on anyone and have made my contribution to help them as I have for Andrew, Katrina and others. Anytime a catastrophy occurs my first thought is "there but for the grace of God go I" you may feel over looked but knowing the hardship, I know you do not begrudge help to them.

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

i don't understand why there are so many floridians who aren't sympathetic to the northeast.  they got massive flooding, public transportation is down, miles of subways were flooded, millions of people were displaced and it's FREEZING on top of being flooded.  here in florida, at least we can sleep fairly comfortably without power.  the areas up there that got hit the worst are far more densely populated that pretty much any part of florida.  i get being annoyed by the free gas thing, but damn.  we're built for that kind of storm and we've experienced more than one.  i'm one of those that doesn't bat an eye when i hear "hurricane".   i'm floridian born and raised.  but for people that have never in their lives experienced this kind of wrath from mother nature, you've got to be more understanding.   i know i would freak the hell out if we had a snow storm or an earthquake.  thank goodness we don't have mountains and have to worry about mudslides like out west.  

during the back to back storms a few years ago, i was in palm bay.  our block was without power for almost a month.  no hot showers, no way to keep food cold. if it wasn't for the national guard handing out ice and MRE's as well as peanut butter and bread, we'd have starved..  i can't imagine going through that plus freezing temperatures.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN