Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Skincare Expert and You Could WIN!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feel like your skin is drying out this season? Wonder how to reduce the appearance of aging? Maybe you're trying to find out what makeup is gentlest on your skin? Whatever your skincare concerns, our expert is here to help!

Dr. Anais Aurora Badia, Board Certified Dermatologist from Florida Skin Center, will be here November 17th to offer her advice and answer your questions in this thread!

As a bonus, one mom who replies to this post to ask our expert a skincare-related question will win a FREE FACIAL from Florida Skin Center!

mirror

Welcome, Dr. Badia, and thanks for joining us!

Giveaway rules:

• The Florida Moms Giveaway starts 11/7/12 at 9am (ET) and ends 11/18/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a Free Facial from Florida Skin Center.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 11/27/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Replies (61-70):
Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

We like Cetaphil cream or Cerave Lotion.

Quoting wandep:

What would be a good moisturizer for all over body if you have psoriasis?

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

There are a lot of products on the market claiming to reduce pore size. One that we have researched that works the best is TNS Recovery Complex. It uses a combination of growth factors and peptides that help minimize pore size. Chemical peels are also a great way to help with skin texture and pore size. You can learn more about the TNS Recovery Complex on the website www.myskincare.com

Quoting esilanna:

I believe it's my pores that I can see... How do I minimize that or make my skin seem smooth instead of like it has tiny holes

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Red patches on the face can results from a number of skin conditions. The best thing to do is to see your local dermatologist to find out what is causing the red patches on your face.

Quoting ImATERRORIST:

How do I eliminate redness patches from my face?

They are very obvious if I'm not wearing makeup. It's not bumpy nor does it ich, it's just light red blemishes in different places of my face. I need to get ride of this problem. Please help :)

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

This is a great question. Chemical peel uses a chemical solution to improve and smooth the texture of the facial skin by removing its damaged outer layers. It is helpful for those individuals with facial blemishes, wrinkles and uneven skin pigmentation. The precise formula used may be adjusted to meet each patient's needs.

• Light peels — generally cause some flaking, redness and dryness, or skin irritation. These side effects diminish over time. Once the body heals itself naturally, the outer layer of skin will fall away. Patients are usually able to engage in normal public activities the day after a light peel.
  • Medium peels — May cause significant swelling, depending on the potency of the chemical solution that was used. Swelling should diminish after the first week. The skin will heal sufficiently to resume normal activities in approximately 7-10 days.
  • Deep peels — Your doctor may prescribe a mild pain medication to relieve any discomfort. If a waterproof adhesive is applied to the treated area, it will be removed in 1-2 days, and you'll be instructed to cover the area with antiseptic powder several times a day. A scab will form and, within 7-10 days, new skin will form. While the skin will be red at first, the color will lighten over a few weeks to a few months.

It is very important that the person preforming your chemical peel is a licensed provider.

Quoting ImATERRORIST:

What are the benefits and risks of getting a chemical peel? Does the process hurt?

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

The number one product you should be using on your skin, especially after having skin cancers, is sunscreen. The best type of sunscreen to use is one that is protective against UVA and UVB. UVB rays are the burning rays that cause skin cancer and the UVA rays cause photo aging and wrinkling as well as skin cancers. We like our patients to wear a sunscreen with SPF 30 which blocks out 97% of UVB rays. The key to applying sunscreen is to wear it daily even on overcast and snow days as well as to reapply every two hours if in direct sunlight.

Quoting Joaness:

What are the best products to use on the face and skin after having skin cancers? Both Basal Cell and Malignant Melanoma?  

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

This question is similar to the one asked by Dinimon. For those of us with oily or combination skin it can be difficult to find the right type of moisturizer. One that we find works great with our patients is made by the company TNS and is called Ultra Sheer Moisturizer. This is a light, oil-free formula that effectively hydrates skin while antioxidant vitamins C and E protect against free radical damage. It goes on light and conditions the skin. You can get more information on this great product at www.myskincenter.com

Quoting ScarlettLetter:

Combination skin is difficult to moisturize without feeling greasy or causing breakouts. What do you recommend?

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

It sounds like it might be time for you to see your local dermatologist to get some prescription medication for your psoriasis. Treatments for psoriasis have come a long way and there are many options you can choose from. There are topical medications and shampoos, light therapies, laser therapies and even injectable treatments.

Quoting dakotasmom12103:

I have terrible psoriasis on my scalp.  I've tried every shampoo on the market.  Short of going to the dr any ideas on what to do?

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

The best thing for you to do is have them looked at by a dermatologist who can determine if the spots are benign or need a biopsy.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I have some brown spots that have recently developed on my neck that are slightly raised. Could they be benign age spots or something I should have biopsied? I did sunbathe in my younger years but am more of a vampire these days since I work nights.

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

We are sorry for what your husband has been through. We would be happy to see your husband to evaluate his spot. You can get our office details at www.floridaskincenter.com

Quoting MixedCooke:

My husband has a coffee stain type skin discoloration that has gradually increased in size and started to spread. He has had a battery of tests done yet all yielded no conclusive results other than it isn't cancerous. At this point my husband is highly frustrated having seen all these doctors and no definitive answers. He is ready to have whatever it is cut out and would rather the scar than the possibility of it to continue to spread. I guess I am asking what can be done because they are just sending him back to the dermatologist to run even more tests?

FYI---We do live in South Florida if there was a chance to make an appointment to see you!

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Dr.Badia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It can be frustrating to find the right type of sunscreen to protect your skin but doesn’t sweat off or feel heavy on the skin. We recommend a few different types of sunscreens. One that is popular with a lot of our female patients is the Theraderm Platinum Protection Facial Sunscreen. It is a broad-spectrum, oil-free SPF 43 sunscreen that provides UVA & UVB sun protection. Its lightweight formulation does not clog pores or produce a white sheen, great for wearing under make-up. And it does not contain any gluten, parabens, oils or fragrance. Our male patients tend to like the Solbar line of sunscreens that also protect again UVA and UVB. These sunscreens come in a gel and cream version. The gel is more popular with our male patients because it goes on like a hand sanitizer and rubs in very quickly.

Quoting Trollslayer:

What would you recommend to use on our face to protect it from the sun? I have used a few different sunscreens but they leave my skin feeling oily and very dirty.

~ Dr. Anais Badia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN