Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Praying for my sister...

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

Most of you have hear me talk about my little sister. She lives in Vegas on Nellis AFB as a wife to an active duty AF Capt. 2 years ago she started having seizures. After a year of telling her she just needed rest, we found out she has a brain tumor/cyst located next to her brain stem. In addition she also has an immune disorder. Neither the tumor or immune disorder have been properly diagnosed. The gov't, TriCare, AKA the original model for socialized medicine in our country, has told us she is not a fit financial risk. She needs an exploratory and dangerous brain surgey to diagnose the tumor. Only 2 hospitals in this country have the ability to perform the operation. The operation alone is 60k. That doesn't include anything that goes along with the surgery. Tests, travel, housing, medications etc. that only covers the actual surgey. She lives daily with seizures, pain in all of her joints, headaches, nausea, breathing problems, memory and cognitive issues. She was forced to give up her position at her school as a phys Ed teacher and cheer coach because of her health. We do not know if the immune disorder was caused by the tumor, or if the tumor exasorbated her immune disorder. She also now homeschooles my twin 7 yr old niece and nephew. 

We have a FB page to bring attention to what is being done to her by our govt. I knew my sister was not feeling well, worse than usual this week. I got a call a little bit ago and had to listen to my sister sob that she is scared to death she won't be here to raise her children and made me promise if anything happens to her I will be here to raise her kids. I cannot even begin to describe what that feels like. she is 30. She use to be one of the healthiest people I know. Hell, she competed in a fitness competition 6 months after giving birth to her twins and WON! She was ripped! She has been a personal trainer and aerobics instructor. We both danced and participated in Gymnastics for most of our lives. 

She started calling this AM to get an appointment for today because her immune disorder is flaring up. Her joints are swollen, she had 2 seizures yesterday, she is unable to hold a fork or a pen. The last time this happened her joints swelled so badly her fingers were literally purple. 

She was on hold for over 30 minutes with the base appointment line only to find out they had no appointments, her Dr. Is deployed, and the only thing they can do is leave a message for the nurse who will then decide if she is sick enough to "fit in" to the schedule next week. They have fired all of our civilian contractors who provide health care to our service members and there are not enough service member practitioners to handle the patient load at Nellis. This is not unique to Nellis, it is happening all over. They have also stopped giving referrals to off base urgent care places because they say the cuts made to our budget doesn't allow for it anymore. So my sister will sit at home in severe pain, suffer seizures, nausea, migraines, her shingles have broken out all over her chest and face, all of her joints are swollen, and we still have no idea what is causing it. She can't even get treatment to control the symptoms. Her husband is on a 6 week TDY right now, we all live here in Florida, so she has little help. 

I am angry. I am worried, sad, depressed. I feel helpless. 

This is what socialized medicine looks like. This is what happens when the govt takes over our healthcare. This is what goes on in every other country with socialized medicine. Sure, if you are a healthy person who occasionaly needs to see a Dr. for minor issues, or yearly check ups, chances are good you will be just fine. If you are a person with serious issues, you will become a cost risk. No you can't be denied coverage, but you can be denied treatment and diagnoses. It is already happening. This is how our soldiers and their families are already treated. Can you imagine how they will treat civilians in this kind of system? 

I pray people see this before everyone is subject to the same lack of care. I pray there are other people willing to stand up and be heard before my sister, or anyone else looses their life because they just cost too much and their life is deemed not worthy.

https://www.facebook.com/AshleysQuest

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambertreas76
by Amber on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Sending her lots of prayers.  This is disgusting!!  I am appalled that anyone who knows anything about socialized healthcare would have ever voted for Obama again.  And just so everyone knows, NOONE is immune from things like your sister is going through.  We will ALL suffer from socialized healthcare in one way or another.  By the way, I posted the link to her page on FB.  I'll help you get her story out there.  

Prayers to your sister.  Prayers to you and yours.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Thank you Amber. This really wasn't about who we voted for. Obama was the catalyst, but our Congress is responsible for pushing it through. I do believe my sister would have a better chance if Mitt had been elected, but he wasnt and now we are left to fight without an olive branch. People need to wake up and realize this will happen to everyone if something is not done. I don't think every aspect of the plan is a bad idea. But I do believe putting the govt in charge will be the death of many many people. We now have zero checks and balances to ensure what is happening to my sister, doesn't happen to others. People have been fooled by the promise of mass health care. It doesn't work. Never has and never will. I very much appreciate you sharing my sisters page. <3 

RLSMOM59
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I have to disagree with not giving referrals for off base medical care. Your sister and husband need to do the paperwork and it seems like a great case for them to approve. I know this can be done because the guy I'm dating had to do the same. He was not able to get appointments that fit his schedule (Friday's only) since her traveled for work. I took some time but he did get approval.

I'm sorry your sister is going through this and hope they are able to get things worked out. If push comes to shove, tell her to go to a non-private hospital. They cannot turn her way. BTW socialized medicine doesn't work the way you describe  and I will post a link about what the new health care bill entitle people too.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Quoting RLSMOM59:

I have to disagree with not giving referrals for off base medical care. Your sister and husband need to do the paperwork and it seems like a great case for them to approve. I know this can be done because the guy I'm dating had to do the same. He was not able to get appointments that fit his schedule (Friday's only) since her traveled for work. I took some time but he did get approval.

I'm sorry your sister is going through this and hope they are able to get things worked out. If push comes to shove, tell her to go to a non-private hospital. They cannot turn her way. BTW socialized medicine doesn't work the way you describe  and I will post a link about what the new health care bill entitle people too.

You don't seem to understand. This is the case at her base. It has not happened at all bases. And it has zero to do with paperwork, or it not being convenient for her. They will not pay for anything they have not approved. Socialized medicine does work exactly the way I described. This is two years and running. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry for what your sister is going through. 

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Prayers for your sister and you as well. I can't imagine what you're going through. This scares me to death as what will be considered a fit financial risk!

I'll pass her page around and spread the word.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Quoting mamamedic69:

Prayers for your sister and you as well. I can't imagine what you're going through. This scares me to death as what will be considered a fit financial risk!

I'll pass her page around and spread the word.

Thank you and please do. We have sent her story on to several media outlets this week. I am praying someone takes her story and runs with it. 

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry for what your sister (and your whole family) is going through! That's appalling that she can't get the care she needs! I would be furious if I were her (or you). I will share her fb page, and I pray that she gets the diagnosis and treatment she needs ASAP!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM

On the phone with my niece. She is sooooo excited that we might all get together to go see Arial at Disney World. ;-) *snoff* 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Sending prayers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)