Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Gravy?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Max
  • 17 Replies

My friend is hosting Thanksgiving for her family and so I am. We were discussing what we've already done and what we still need to so and she mentioned buying gravy. 

buying gravy??? Ick!

She said it was way too hard to make. I don't think gravy is hard to make at all! She cooks a lot so I don't get this gravy issue.

Do you make gravy from your Turkey drippings?

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Quoting RLSMOM59:

I cheat using store brought gravy and my drippings. I comes out nicer :-)

How does the store bought gravy help? 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

It's not hard to make, and I agree, bought gravy? YUCK! Lol I always make my gravy. I'd just tell her you will do it! ;-)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

It's not hard to make, and I agree, bought gravy? YUCK! Lol I always make my gravy. I'd just tell her you will do it! ;-)

I'm not driving to her house to do it. I did offer to walk her though it over the phone. 

She's a big recipe follower. She didn't like that I couldn't give her exact amounts of flour, drippings and stock. 

RLSMOM59
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Gives me a base instead of making a rue and buying gravy master for color. I used my pan drippings and the liquid I have from cooking the innerds. Of course my aunts woukd have me head if they saw me doing this :-). When they are around, I make it right :--)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I have to support your aunts on this. 

Making the rue isn't hard at hall. Just go for it. Gravy that's been in a jar for months just isn't right!! LOL

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Gives me a base instead of making a rue and buying gravy master for color. I used my pan drippings and the liquid I have from cooking the innerds. Of course my aunts woukd have me head if they saw me doing this :-). When they are around, I make it right :--)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I'm not driving to her house to do it. I did offer to walk her though it over the phone. 

She's a big recipe follower. She didn't like that I couldn't give her exact amounts of flour, drippings and stock. 

Yeah. I cook by feel and taste too. I don't use recipes usually. It would be difficult for me to walk someone through who wasn't willing to make it sans recipe. I was thinking you all were hosting together. Lol if she isn't willing so be it. You are not eating with her so you get the yummy stuff! Lol 

RLSMOM59
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yeah but when you get off work at 0700 and have to have dinner ready by 1400 you earn to take shortcuts. I would rather spend my time on making the sweet potatoe casserole and mashed potatoes cause I eat those, not the gravy.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Making the rue isn't hard at hall. Just go for it. Gravy that's been in a jar for months just isn't right!! LOL

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I can see that. I have all day to cook so. But it's still always a rush at the end to get everything heated and ready. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Yeah but when you get off work at 0700 and have to have dinner ready by 1400 you earn to take shortcuts. I would rather spend my time on making the sweet potatoe casserole and mashed potatoes cause I eat those, not the gravy.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM
I never buy gravy! And I don't think I would eat store bought gravy! I always make my gravy and its easy and fairly quick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Well this is my first year cooking thanksgiving dinner. But yes I am going to make my own gravy from the turkey juices.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN