Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Any certified teachers on here?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:53 AM
  • 12 Replies

I was wondering if there were any certified teachers on here?  My daughter is homeschooled and at the end of the year they are requiring her to be evaluated by a teacher or pyschiatrist.  I am not sure exactly how this goes, but would someone be willing to evaluate my daughter if I need them to?  She is a selective mute and has social phobia, so it is very hard for her to talk to strangers.

Thanks

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fla33023
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM
You'll certainly need at least a special education teacher. Is she not under any mental health care already? You can always contact the school dept for any guidance. I'm certified but I don't have any experience in this area. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leighp1
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Thank you.  She has a psychiatrist who is not the greatest.  He sees her every 3 months and asks how things are going, then off we go.  She sees a therapist, but not sure if she can do the paperwork.  The school here is not real responsive to her issues.  Thanks for posting a response though.

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Only psychologists and slp's do evaluations. I use to teach special education. Now I'm graduating with my bachelors in SLP in two weeks. Teachers don't and can't evaluate a student....psychologists do the full evaluation (iq test, etc) and an SLP does the speech eval.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Unless by evaluate you just mean test her on her grade level knowledge?
leighp1
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:24 AM

The only thing we need to be evaluated on is to know that they are learning and are at grade level and ready to be advanced to the next grade.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Oh ok so they just need to be tested then really.

Quoting leighp1:

The only thing we need to be evaluated on is to know that they are learning and are at grade level and ready to be advanced to the next grade.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

BUMP!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Not here bump.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM

How old is she?

You can call your local school and ask if there are teachers who do it. I would assume they would charge $30-50 per hour, similar to tutoring. 

I've never heard of homeschoolers doing this. I know many opt to take the FCAT. 

artemisa3001
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I don't know anything about it but maybe you can look in the homeschooling group?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN