Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Dolphin Bites 8-Year-Old Girl at Sea World

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

Feeding the dolphins at Sea World was a dream come true for 8-year-old Jillian Thomas, until one of the marine mammals bit into her arm, nearly dragging her into the water.

Jillian’s mother took video of her daughter, who says dolphins are her favorite animal, feeding them at the theme park’s Dolphin Cove.

Jillian was in the middle of her second visit of the day to the friendly looking animals when she made a crucial mistake, lifting a small plate of dolphin food in the air out of excitement, something the park warns people not to do.

The dolphin, eager for the food, chomped down on Jillian’s arm instead, nearly dragging her into the water.

The 8-year-old walked away from the encounter with a set of teeth marks the size of dimes.

PHOTOS: When Animals Attack

Her parents are furious and claimed Sea World employees “trivialized the attack.”

“Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our guests, employees and animals,” Sea World said in a statement. “Educators and animal care staff were at the attraction when this happened and immediately connected with the family.”

The Thomas family said it has no plans to sue Sea World, however they are urging the park to increase the age limit for children who are allowed to feed the animals.

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like yet another dirt bag family looking to make a buck... Smh. I hate assholes like that. It's a DOLPHIN! the girl is fine, it was an accident no one could have prevented. Those are the kind of people that make real issues harder to arbitrate for actual negligence. ;-(

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Just watched the video. OMG for real... It was a matter of seconds and the mom saying she was almost pulled in was total crap! Grrrrrrt!

LittleBirdFly
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

animals ar animals and they are unpredictable! Of course the girl was scared and hurt but I doubt the dolphin meant to do that. She was kinda holding the fish box up and he jumped for it. There are always dangers involved when you are in close contact with animals especially wild animals.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Sounds like yet another dirt bag family looking to make a buck... Smh. I hate assholes like that. It's a DOLPHIN! the girl is fine, it was an accident no one could have prevented. Those are the kind of people that make real issues harder to arbitrate for actual negligence. ;-(

They say they aren't suing so I don't see how they're out to make a buck. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I found the video. 

It's definitely an exaggeration to say that it almost pulled her into the water. It was an accident. 

and I don't know what kind of dimes people are using nowadays, but the marks didn't look dime size to me. 

LittleBirdFly
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Sea World said they told them multiply times to not lift the fish plate up! To leave it down there at all times. The little girl made a mistake and the Dolphin jumped for it, that what they do.

strictmomhere
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

They say they aren't suing so I don't see how they're out to make a buck. 

My bad. Thanks for pointing that out. My brain read it the are planning. :-( woops! Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)