Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Possibly moving around Jacksonville before Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hey Florida moms! I'm really nervous/excited right  now because my husband just got a pretty good job offer through Flightstar services in Jacksonville and I'm in the process of being hired (hopefully *fingers crossed*) with an engineering firm at the same  place. I have never lived outside of the state of Michigan and the idea of moving within the next month and possibly before Christmas has me really nervous! I have heard there are some pretty bad areas of Jacksonville and it's hard to find a house or apartment to rent when we can't go check anything out before we move. If anyone has any advice on good/safe areas, that would be very appreciated! One of the apartment complexes we are looking at is The Club at Town Center. Thanks for your advice ladies!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I live in Jax and I'll look at the area you just mentioned in a little while as dd is up wanting breakfast.
However, the way DH and I looked for a place was to look at the map of Jax and chose areas outside of the 295 loop.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wingsfan1234
by Amy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

not sure about the Jacksonville area but we just moved from Michigan back in June with 2 preschools in tow.  It is definitately different but we are LOVING IT.. I never lived anywhere but Michigan until then either

GOOD LUCK and hopefully someone here can help you out with the area 

familyisamour
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Great advice, thanks! I use trulia.com a lot because they show the crimes on a map and each crime is listed with the exact location and what the offense was.

familyisamour
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Thanks, that's really reassuring! What part of Michigan did you move from? I grew up in the thumb, but lived in Warren, Port Huron, Rochester, Grand Rapids, Big Rapids, and now Oscoda. I guess I've experienced it all and we're just ready for a fresh new start :)

Quoting wingsfan1234:

not sure about the Jacksonville area but we just moved from Michigan back in June with 2 preschools in tow.  It is definitately different but we are LOVING IT.. I never lived anywhere but Michigan until then either

ambermario4ever
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Jacksonville is dirty. We would never live there. But good luck I hope you find a nice safe clean place to live.

wingsfan1234
by Amy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

grew up in White Lake (near Pontiac), but have lived in Jackson, Auburn Hills, Fenton and Burton..most recently was Burton.  my husband's family is in the Port Huron area and my Grandma lives in South Branch

WE moved here looking for a fresh start as well and away from family drama that was and still is going on that I"m so glad we don't have to be around..  

Quoting familyisamour:

Thanks, that's really reassuring! What part of Michigan did you move from? I grew up in the thumb, but lived in Warren, Port Huron, Rochester, Grand Rapids, Big Rapids, and now Oscoda. I guess I've experienced it all and we're just ready for a fresh new start :)

Quoting wingsfan1234:

Mommy to two girls here on earth and one in Heaven watching over us

ambertreas76
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Stay outside of the 295 loop. Middleburg is pretty nice. It's right outside of Jax Proper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommytolas
by Tricia on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM
I live near there. We're stationed at the Mayport Naval Base. While I would personally stay away from,the west side most of Jacksonville is pretty nice. The town center is very pretty but very expensive the places on St Johns Bluff are just as nice and less expensive. Your also very close to beach blvd. My dad lives there and we stayed with him for nearly a year while I was pregnant and so was deployed. I loved it there. He has a mobile home, with four bedrooms a full soaker jacuzzi bath tub and property on a lake with a beautiful park two houses down. It's three times bigger than the apartment we grew up in in North Jersey alot nicer and much cheaper. We are renting a mobile home to and while the interior is as nice I don't love the neighborhood and we have no park but it's two seconds from base and we're cutting back so I can stay home. But over here it's very quiet there's little around us and we can walk or bike to Hanna Park. Personally it's culture shock after many years in NYC and I don't really like it hear much but my husband is from Indiana and he loves it. It comes down to personal preference. If you want to live in a shopping center and can afford to ( I personally would :-) ) go for the town center if you'd prefer a little distance from the shops try the luxury apartments on St Johns Bluff 2 minutes up the road.and if you want something bigger look on beach but beware of bad neighbors. Good Lucj
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WendyJR
by Wendy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM
We are in the process of moving out of fl in the next 6-8 months. Try looking on realtor.com, rent.com, and zilliow. Good luck! There should be plenty of places to rent, might have a bit of a hard time in the winter finding something bc of the snow birds being here but still should be a good bit to choose from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Best of luck to you with everything! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN