Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Drinking and Driving

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am a survivor of an accident involving a drunk driver. He was driving home from his bachelor party. He was going 80mph and we were going 5mph when he t-boned my side of the car. The jaws of life pryed us out and I was flown to the hospital via helicopter. I was resuscitated in the helicopter. I woke up to from a drug induced coma to be told that I had 24 hours before they knew I would survive. I was told that if I did survive, chances would be that I would not ever walk on my own. I had to relearn how to walk, talk and breathe without assistance.

10 years later and my body is full of issues. I would have a 10yr old child but the drunk that hit us took that away. I'm a full body arthritic. The interior of my eyes is that of an 80 year old (vitreous gel is fluid and retinas must be checked every year). My glands on my right side do not work properly. My face is paralyzed on the right side. I suffer from migraines due to my neck and brain trauma. My rib cage is slowly dislocating from the bottom up. I've been through all kinds of testing for MS because of the muscle issues that the brain trauma has caused. Yes, I am maintaining but I would much rather be a normal 36 year old without any physical/health issues that need maintenance. I am one of the lucky ones.

This is my story.  There are others out there with similar stories.  There are others out there who were not so 'lucky'.  Please do not drink and drive. No matter how sober you think you are. You could affect someone's life forever. Think twice and hand over your keys after even one drink.
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM
We dont drink and drive hugs to u
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambertreas76
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Everyday I wish that the man who hit us didn't drink and drive.

Quoting strictmomhere:

We dont drink and drive hugs to u

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Thanks for sharing. My father was killed in a drunk driving accident when I was 8. Be safe all.

ambertreas76
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Oh sweetie.  I'm sorry.  Like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones.  I pray that there will be lots of people hiding keys and taking taxis tonight and ALWAYS!

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Thanks for sharing. My father was killed in a drunk driving accident when I was 8. Be safe all.

ambertreas76
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

BUMP!!!  Do not drink and drive.  Be responsible! 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Most definitely! Hugs to you!

Quoting ambertreas76:

BUMP!!!  Do not drink and drive.  Be responsible! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommytolas
by Tricia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Such a simple small thing it's unthinkable how many people just don't think before they get behind the wheel. My dad was hit by a drunk driver when I was 11. The van was completely totaled it was a miracle he walked away. This happened just six months after my mom died. I can't imagine what would have happened to the five of us kids. Everyone needs to remember that their life is the least of the risks they take when they get behind the wheel and drive. God Bless you and Thank You for being brave enough to share.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambertreas76
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

God Bless you too sweetie!

Quoting Mommytolas:

Such a simple small thing it's unthinkable how many people just don't think before they get behind the wheel. My dad was hit by a drunk driver when I was 11. The van was completely totaled it was a miracle he walked away. This happened just six months after my mom died. I can't imagine what would have happened to the five of us kids. Everyone needs to remember that their life is the least of the risks they take when they get behind the wheel and drive. God Bless you and Thank You for being brave enough to share.

WendyJR
by Wendy on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:07 PM

No drinking and driving here.

Thanks for sharing your story.

happy new year

LadyBast
by Brenda on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:53 PM

We do not drink at all.. So sorry this happened to you and I have a disabled daughter from a car accident that I was also in so I do understand what you are going through, it is not fun.. Hugs and prayers!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN