Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Planning to move with my Autistic child to FL...

Posted by   + Show Post

I currently live in NYC and planning to relocate with my children to FL.  My youngest son is Autistic and I want to know how good are the schools/ services for Special Needs Kids?  Which counties/ cities should I consider?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
fla33023
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
There are plenty of Tampa moms on here. You may want to repost with Tampa in the title. I'm closer to Miami. And yes, school starts Aug 19 down here. Good luck with the big move! Keep us posted.

Quoting MSROCKY:

I was told for Autistic children the best schools were in the major areas like Miami, Orlando, Tampa.  

We were actually considering the Tampa area...THANKS fla33023

Quoting fla33023:

Hi and welcome to the group! I don't have any information to offer you but I'm sure it would help if you could narrow down your search. Florida is huge and quite different depending on where you are! Are you thinking north, central or south?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBast
by Brenda on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi and welcome to the group!

I have a disabled daughter and in Hillsborough County they have some great schools they are all self sufficient class rooms with bathrooms a kitchen area and all for the kids so they have anything they need in the rooms.. I live in Tampa but close to Brandon I had to drive Ashley to school but it was so well worth it, they had some amazing teachers also for her and some that were so/so..

I have no idea now since she is out of school, but they did great and the attendants in the room were amazing with her too, they always helped all of the kids!

Good luck and hope all goes well keep us posted!

Ginnygurl97
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
As a pp said, the central area is good. My oldest is not autistic but had speech apraxia, and some sensory integration issues. He has since grown out of them. But the schools here in the Orlando area (we live in Seminole county) were very helpful and had lots of different resources for him.
I'm originally from the northeast, and it's quite an adjustment down here!!! Quite different. I've been here for about 5-6 yrs and I'm still adjusting! Lol. I miss seasons, it's always hot here :-(.
But Good Luck w the move!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for joining the group! :)

Quoting auntangelofsix:

Welcome.

Heres a bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wingsfan1234
by Amy on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck with the move!! I'm not much help with the area or schools as we just move here last June from Michigan so this is our first year of school here and loving the difference between Michigan school system and here (we've actually been in 2 counties already.. Polk and now  Pasco)   

Mommy to two girls here on earth and one in Heaven watching over us

tueborvita
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Lantana FL is a great coastal city. It's small. You can walk to the schools. And it has a school for autistic children smack dab in the center.

MSROCKY
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Thanks I'm going to do that & repost with Tampa in the title!

Quoting fla33023:

There are plenty of Tampa moms on here. You may want to repost with Tampa in the title. I'm closer to Miami. And yes, school starts Aug 19 down here. Good luck with the big move! Keep us posted.

Quoting MSROCKY:

I was told for Autistic children the best schools were in the major areas like Miami, Orlando, Tampa.  

We were actually considering the Tampa area...THANKS fla33023

Quoting fla33023:

Hi and welcome to the group! I don't have any information to offer you but I'm sure it would help if you could narrow down your search. Florida is huge and quite different depending on where you are! Are you thinking north, central or south?

MSROCKY
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thanks!  I heard Hillsborough County had some good schools & programs for Special Needs children but they work for the system.  I wanted a mother's opnion... 

Quoting LadyBast:

Hi and welcome to the group!

I have a disabled daughter and in Hillsborough County they have some great schools they are all self sufficient class rooms with bathrooms a kitchen area and all for the kids so they have anything they need in the rooms.. I live in Tampa but close to Brandon I had to drive Ashley to school but it was so well worth it, they had some amazing teachers also for her and some that were so/so..

I have no idea now since she is out of school, but they did great and the attendants in the room were amazing with her too, they always helped all of the kids!

Good luck and hope all goes well keep us posted!

MSROCKY
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thanks your info is reassuring!  This is a big move for us & our concern was the schools/services in FL.  I'm tired of the cold & hopefully can adjust the hot weather!  lol.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

As a pp said, the central area is good. My oldest is not autistic but had speech apraxia, and some sensory integration issues. He has since grown out of them. But the schools here in the Orlando area (we live in Seminole county) were very helpful and had lots of different resources for him.
I'm originally from the northeast, and it's quite an adjustment down here!!! Quite different. I've been here for about 5-6 yrs and I'm still adjusting! Lol. I miss seasons, it's always hot here :-(.
But Good Luck w the move!!!!!

MSROCKY
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM

THANKS!  Well that's a good sign if you like the system down in FL.  That gives me a sense of hope...I'm just trying to get out the cold!  :))

Quoting wingsfan1234:

Good Luck with the move!! I'm not much help with the area or schools as we just move here last June from Michigan so this is our first year of school here and loving the difference between Michigan school system and here (we've actually been in 2 counties already.. Polk and now  Pasco)   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN