Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Planning to move with my Autistic child to FL...

Posted by   + Show Post

I currently live in NYC and planning to relocate with my children to FL.  My youngest son is Autistic and I want to know how good are the schools/ services for Special Needs Kids?  Which counties/ cities should I consider?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Replies (21-26):
MSROCKY
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Thanks - that's great!  I look into it...

Quoting tueborvita:

Lantana FL is a great coastal city. It's small. You can walk to the schools. And it has a school for autistic children smack dab in the center.

MSROCKY
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM

THANKS Everyone for your replies!  kiss mini

TaralynnStewart
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I am born and raise in Tampa. There is an amazing program at USF for autism. A lot of the schools in hillsborough county have programs for kids with extra needs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MSROCKY
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thanks!  I wanted to make sure...

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

I am born and raise in Tampa. There is an amazing program at USF for autism. A lot of the schools in hillsborough county have programs for kids with extra needs

nomadbrat83
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Dd is not autistic but is gifted, adhd, spd and has a mood disorder and has great accommodations from her magnet school in Tampa. I also work with a lot of SES/ESE kids so I am familiar with services available. Are you looking for a self contained classroom? How old is your child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ginnygurl97
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Where in New York are you?

Quoting MSROCKY:

Thanks your info is reassuring!  This is a big move for us & our concern was the schools/services in FL.  I'm tired of the cold & hopefully can adjust the hot weather!  lol.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

As a pp said, the central area is good. My oldest is not autistic but had speech apraxia, and some sensory integration issues. He has since grown out of them. But the schools here in the Orlando area (we live in Seminole county) were very helpful and had lots of different resources for him.

I'm originally from the northeast, and it's quite an adjustment down here!!! Quite different. I've been here for about 5-6 yrs and I'm still adjusting! Lol. I miss seasons, it's always hot here :-(.

But Good Luck w the move!!!!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)