Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Are you guilty of wearing pajamas out of the house?

Posted by   + Show Post

Moms Who Wear Pajamas in Public Have Officially Let Themselves Go

Posted by Mary Fischer on January 15, 2013 

pajamasI won't lie -- as a work-at-home mom, there are at least a couple days a week where I resort to a uniform of yoga pants and a hoodie. I'm not leaving the house, so there's really no sense in wasting a perfectly good outfit if no one's going to see it.

But even if I do manage to squeeze in an exciting trip to the grocery store on one of my yoga pants days -- I don't bother to change, because yoga pants are fairly well accepted as an appropriate wear-anywhere outfit in today's society.

However, there's one piece of clothing in particular I will never be caught dead wearing in public -- and that's pajamas. Sleepwear is called sleepwear for a reason, people -- and it needs to stay in the bedroom where it belongs.

But apparently not everyone is as turned off by sporting pjs outside of the home as I am. Recently, I've noticed more and more moms out and about at the grocery store, pharmacy, post office, pumping gas, you name it -- looking frumpy and disheveled in a pair of brightly patterned flannel pajama bottoms. (Oh, the horror.)

And I don't mean to be Ms. Judgy Pants, really, I don't -- but every time I see a mom wearing pjs in public, I just can't help but wonder what on earth made her totally let herself go like that. Yes, there are days when getting fully dressed is a real drag, and mustering up the motivation to change out of whatever you slept in the night before and put on regular clothes can be next to impossible.

But it's so, so worth it to put in that little bit of extra effort to thrown on clothes, because when you simply roll out of bed and leave the house, you look like you just rolled out of bed and left the house -- and it's just not a pretty sight for anyone.

And the good news is that changing from pjs to regular clothes doesn't have to mean sacrificing comfort. There are plenty of pajama-like clothing options on the market these days for moms who don't want to feel confined and/or have their movement restricted in a pair of jeans, pants, and the like.

Take the few minutes and make the extra effort, moms. You'll feel better about yourself, and everyone you happen to encounter in public will thank you. Trust me.

Are you guilty of wearing pajamas out of the house?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommyducky9
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I don't rally wear pjs at all so no. But I do sleep in comfy clothes and then go out in the same outfit I slept in. I don't care what people think. I know I look amazing. I have a cute little body that looks good in anything so I'm not worried. I recently had a mommy makeover (tummy tuck and breast lift/implants) and the recovery is harder than a c-section so I want to be comfortable all the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I only wear PJs outside to take the dog out. I don't get in the car and go grocery shopping or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyducky9
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I must agree with you. This post is full of judgement, ignorance and hate. Why should I care if some prissy stuck-up mom doesn't like how I dress? Doesn't she have her own life to worry about?

Quoting sucker4myloves:

looking frumpy and disheveled in a pair of brightly patterned flannel pajama bottoms. (Oh, the horror.) :O Not out to please you, missy.

And I don't mean to be Ms. Judgy Pants, really, I don't -- but every time I see a mom wearing pjs in public,
I just can't help but wonder what on earth made her totally let herself
go like that.
Saying that you don't mean to be judgemental before making a very judgemental statement is akin to saying "no offense" before purposely offending someone--that is to say, stupid.

There are plenty of pajama-like clothing options
on the market these days for moms who don't want to feel confined
and/or have their movement restricted in a pair of jeans, pants, and the
like. So, pajama-like clothing is socially acceptable, but actual pajamas, which are different only in title and what section they're found in in the store, are not? Well alright.

Take the few minutes and make the extra effort, moms. You'll feel
better about yourself, and everyone you happen to encounter in public
will thank you. Trust me. No. I already feel great. I don't need a happy public to make me feel that way. You might, but I do not.

Are you guilty of wearing pajamas out of the house? Yes I am. I'm comfortable; I don't have to change out of perfectly clean clothes because some little princess doesn't want to see my offensive jammies.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

No, never.  Anytime, I go out looking raggamuffin, I always seem to run into an old boyfriend or someone I know!

DieselsMom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:11 AM

when did yoga pants become acceptable errand running pants??? I don't want to see them, just like I don't want to see your pj's unless we are having a sleepover, or doing yoga together!

motherslove82
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:13 AM
No.
MamaJessx3
by Jess on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Nope, never
kayfarmgirl
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Yes I have worn pajamas out of the house on occasion . 

LadyBast
by Brenda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Sorry even after my gallbladder surgery if I went out I wore jeans but they are all so big it never bothered me and nope I could not carry my gun then I had to go with Mike each time for over a week, they would not let me drive or do a thing and it was miserable, but I stayed home a lot and just wore my sweats and slept :)

LadyBast
by Brenda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

This is wrong, please be nice or do not reply, we each have our own opinions and that is all the post is for so be kind!

This is not me I would never do it, but that is how I was raised PJ's are for home and my daughter is the same she will not wear sweats either just like me I want jeans on, but I do carry my gun also....

So please think twice when making comments or quoting and BE NICE!

Quoting mommyducky9:

I must agree with you. This post is full of judgement, ignorance and hate. Why should I care if some prissy stuck-up mom doesn't like how I dress? Doesn't she have her own life to worry about?

Quoting sucker4myloves:

looking frumpy and disheveled in a pair of brightly patterned flannel pajama bottoms. (Oh, the horror.) :O Not out to please you, missy.

And I don't mean to be Ms. Judgy Pants, really, I don't -- but every time I see a mom wearing pjs in public,
I just can't help but wonder what on earth made her totally let herself
go like that.
Saying that you don't mean to be judgemental before making a very judgemental statement is akin to saying "no offense" before purposely offending someone--that is to say, stupid.

There are plenty of pajama-like clothing options
on the market these days for moms who don't want to feel confined
and/or have their movement restricted in a pair of jeans, pants, and the
like. So, pajama-like clothing is socially acceptable, but actual pajamas, which are different only in title and what section they're found in in the store, are not? Well alright.

Take the few minutes and make the extra effort, moms. You'll feel
better about yourself, and everyone you happen to encounter in public
will thank you. Trust me. No. I already feel great. I don't need a happy public to make me feel that way. You might, but I do not.

Are you guilty of wearing pajamas out of the house? Yes I am. I'm comfortable; I don't have to change out of perfectly clean clothes because some little princess doesn't want to see my offensive jammies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN