Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

i need info!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 15 Replies
My family is considering moving to Leesburg fl. Currently we live in maine. I have never been to florida but my boyfriends (sons dad) family lives there. What is it like? Is it safe? Clean? Affordable? I would love as much info as I can get! I have been checking city data and talking.to his sister. Its just such a big move I would love to know more!
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Here's the Leesburg new link: http://www.topix.com/city/leesburg-fl

jojo_382
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM
well not to scare you some parts of Florida it's expensive to live in certain place aren't safe to live in but there r some part here that of cheep to live am start look for a cheeper part live in
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loveTHEviking
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Florida is great! I've lived here my whole entire life. I currently live in Orange Park which is about 15 minutes out of Jacksonville. The area I live in is nice, I love it here :).

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM

it's hit and miss just like everywhere else.  if you find a place i suggest checking the sex offender database.  that will give you an idea of what kind of area you're looking at.    http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/searchNeighborhood.do?actionPerformed=neighborhoodSearchMain

RLSMOM59
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Really?

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

it's hit and miss just like everywhere else.  if you find a place i suggest checking the sex offender database.  that will give you an idea of what kind of area you're looking at.    http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/searchNeighborhood.do?actionPerformed=neighborhoodSearchMain

stephanie0688
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I'm confused..everything I have read says its a quiet retirement town and yey there are tons of sex offenders! Scary!! How do you ladies feel about leesburg? What's its reputation?
TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

i've been house hunting for quite a while now.  that's the first thing i check. some places are great and have none within a few miles. others look nice but have a huge concentration of offenders nearby.  i've found it to be a pretty accurate indicator of the areas i'm looking at. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Really?

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The Villages is the retirement area. it is very close to leesburg.  i suggest researching before moving.  i also recommend clermont or minneola above leesburg. 

Quoting stephanie0688:

I'm confused..everything I have read says its a quiet retirement town and yey there are tons of sex offenders! Scary!! How do you ladies feel about leesburg? What's its reputation?

RLSMOM59
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Well the first thing I check out are the schools, culture, and what type of activities are available for the chidlren. If I would have checked the offender list I would never move. 

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

i've been house hunting for quite a while now.  that's the first thing i check. some places are great and have none within a few miles. others look nice but have a huge concentration of offenders nearby.  i've found it to be a pretty accurate indicator of the areas i'm looking at. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Really?

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

i check the school districts first when looking at an area.  i won't look in an area with crappy schools.  then when i find a property in the desired area, i plug in the address and check the surrounding area before i do anyting. i only search within a mile.  it makes a huge difference and by looking at the concentration of the surrounding area, you can pretty much tell which areas are slummy and which ones are better off.  if i can't find something in the district i want that seems safe enough for my kids, i look elsewhere.  i can name several areas that are idea.  finding a property that meets our needs is another issue all together.  i will not knowingly put my kids within reach of a predator.  i do take into consideration the age of the offender and the charge against them. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Well the first thing I check out are the schools, culture, and what type of activities are available for the chidlren. If I would have checked the offender list I would never move. 

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Really?

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN