Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Florida Public Schools ... your thoughts?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

I am totally frustrated.  It may be because I came from up north and am use to a different method and speed of education.  BUT, I have lived here for 11 years and thought the FL system would have adapted to the huge growth it has had in these years.  Sadly, it has not.  

What are some of the things you like and do NOT like about the public schools?

I don't like the fact that there are not enough gifted programs for gifted students, the fact that a lot of parents are not involved in the school and the school rating system method.  (Which is why my son will not be returning in August).  What DO I like? That I can go and have lunch with  my son when I want to; the field trips that the kids have the chance to go on living here! ... Hey .. I'm trying to find one positive thing!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJessx3
by Jess on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this
The schools are changing a lot right now, they're changing to a nation wide testing program and way of teaching. So you're getting your wish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WendyJR
by Wendy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Haven't had the oppertunity to see what the schools are like yet. DS is in Preschool though and i Love his preschool.

fla33023
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I'd have to add one more thing to your con list: lunch with students. My husband's school ended that after Newtown. And I didn't see much more parental involvement up north. I would think thats more individual to the parent and to the community. But like MamaJess said nationwide testing is on its way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dinimon
by Diana on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I'm not sure.
My kids aren't in school yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I am hoping to homeschool.

Tfor2
by Tiff on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

There are a lot of pros and cons to the public school system. however, to get the pros you do have to be an active parent in your childs education. Like other posters mentioned, Florida is getting away from our current "ranking" system and going to nation wide testing. My understanding is they are changing slowly and in the next 2 years we will be there. Some pros I have experienced is one on one teacher communication. Through email I have contact with each of my childrens teachers. I currently have a 4th grader and an 8th grader. As they enter middle school, we have online grade books where parents can log in and see the grades, assignments, missing assignments and up comming assignments as well as absences for each class. I like this because as a proactive parent, my kids can not hide anything from me. The education in itself is lacking a little but that is due to teachers having to teach towards the fcat (which again is changing). They do not give enough time to teaching the basics which is why children struggle when getting into the harder things. It is not always the case that every parent is able to be inolved in doing things at school with their children, however, as parents it is our responsability to work with them at home to ensure they are grasping all the concepts taught in school. I happen to not be involved in PTA or classroom activities, however all of their teachers and administrators are on a first name basis with me because I will stop in and check on my kids, email the teacher and other things. It does take a lot of work from the parents but then again they are our children. Public school is not for everyone however. If you feel public school is not for you, check into charter schools, private schools, home schooling and virtual school.There are several options to educate your children, it is about finding the right fit for your family. Good luck!

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

i HATE the FCAT.  i hate standardized testing.  i think it's a crock and kids are being punished for being poor test takers, no matter thier grades throughout the year. all of the policies regarding that fucking test are ridiculous. my son would have been making A's and B's in a few subjects last year, but becuase he didn't get a 3 or higher on his FCAT from 3rd grade, he wasn't allowed anything over a C. bullshit on a stick. 

RLSMOM59
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I have done both private and public and each have their pros and cons. It depends on where you live and how well you interact with the school's administration and teachers. I was able to pick my children up from school and would park instead of going through the car loop line. I was able to talk with the teachers on a non-formal bases and got a lot more information then doing a parent/teacher conference. the teachers got use to me and would have the information I needed ready. My youngest was a "I need it now" type student so I always verified with the teacher when the items/project was due.

As for the "gifted" programs, look for schools that offere accerated classes, school of choice, IB, Cambridge, charter. These type of programs'school fast track learning and it is a big difference. The need for "gifted" is not required. Actually, when my children were in elem the children in gifted complained about missing class to go to the gifted class to do nothing or less then what they were doing in class.

As far as the online grading system, it's great to keep up with activity, classes and homework but after a while you will find out the teachers don't update as required so it is not a true reflection of your student's progress. the only time it is accurate is every 9 weeks.

I would supplement my children's learning with books on CD that we listened to in the car. The children had the book. We would play games, I would volunteer once a week in the classroom so I could see what was going on. The volunteering in class worked out great because it freed the teacher from doing the task of assembling "red alert" folders.

Sorry for the long post but there is no perfect educational system. We have to be the advocates for our child(ren) by being proactive. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

There have big changes in the past few years where I teach. I don't know where your child goes to school, but keep in mind all the schools in the state aren't the same. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Quoting MamaJessx3:

The schools are changing a lot right now, they're changing to a nation wide testing program and way of teaching. So you're getting your wish.

yup

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN