Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Flushable wipes?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM
  • 10 Replies

Good afternoon moms! I was chatting with a friend and mentioned I make my own baby wipes, using paper towel as the wipe with a homemade solution. She loved the idea but asked a very good question I could not answer. Is there something to use as a wipe that is as sturdy as a good paper towel but flushable? Her daughter will be potty training soon enough and would love to be able to use a wipe that cleans better than dry tp. Have any of you tried? Or can you think of something that is sturdy yet flushable?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM

is it septic safe ?  i know alot of tp and paper towels are not...

edit... sorry i thought you were suggestion to use this...

hmmm no i only know of those that you buy that are flushable. i have never made them.

LadyBast
by Brenda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM

NP on tp and our septic at all but I would never flush a paper towel or a wipe...

I am not sure I know they make flushable things now but IDK on kids... I would read the labels on all but I think she is stuck...

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I can't think of anything. 

fla33023
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I guess it's a catch 22. I wouldn't flush a papertowel or a flushable wipe. I don't want to waste water or risk a clog. On the other hand, I guess my stuff is piling up in the landfill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM

you do realize that they make flushable wipes already right?  I think Charmin makes it but there are also store brands!  I have septic, so I dont trust them even though they say flushable.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I do  beleive there are already flushable wipes.

jdahlstedt
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I do realize they already make flushable wipes. The point in making our own wipes is to limit the chemicals we are rubbing on our childs skin. Have you ever looked at that list of ingredients? It's scary! I'd rather use natural elements that don't have the potential of doing harm.

Dinimon
by Diana on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM
This.
I've never made my own.

Quoting Fairegirl33:

is it septic safe ?  i know alot of tp and paper towels are not...

edit... sorry i thought you were suggestion to use this...

hmmm no i only know of those that you buy that are flushable. i have never made them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

What if you were to use the same recipe that you use for the baby wipes but just use biodegradable paper towels?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/217411-how-to-make-my-own-flushable-baby-wipes/

sheri305
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I can't think of anything. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)