Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Gallup Poll says Florida least religious state in the South

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 14 Replies

With 37.6 percent of Floridians saying they are “very religious,” Florida ranks at the bottom of Southern states, according to the latest Gallup Poll. Mississippi, with 58 percent of its residents classified as very religious, tops the region and the nation.

“Eight of the top 10 religious states are in the South — basically comprising the entire Southern belt from Georgia and the two Carolinas on the Atlantic coast through Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi, to Louisiana and Arkansas in the west,” the report said. “The states outside the Southern belt are Utah — with its strongly religious majority Mormon population — and Oklahoma, which straddles the border between the South and the Midwest.”

As far as religion goes, Florida looks very Midwestern. Rounded up to whole numbers, Florida is Illinois, which is 38 percent very religious. The Sunshine State is not too far from the national average of 40.1 percent.

At the opposite end, Vermont is the least religious state with 19 percent of its residents identifying themselves as very religious.

“The 12 least religious states comprise the entirety of New England — Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut — along with the three most Northwestern states in the union, Alaska, Washington, and Oregon, plus the District of Columbia, Nevada, and Hawaii,” the report says.

To read all about the poll, and find out how your home state ranks, click here:http://www.gallup.com/poll/160415/mississippi-maintains-hold-religious-state.aspx

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Interesting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaiasMommy619
by Safina on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM
I'm from Illinois and I can say that people identify themselves as a little more religious down here... But the numbers are right there :)
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

That makes sense. Fl is the least southern state in the south culturally.

Dinimon
by Diana on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I always thought it would be way higher.
MamaJessx3
by Jess on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
That makes sense though with FL having such big cities like miami and stuff and such a high population of minorities.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Quoting MamaJessx3:

That makes sense though with FL having such big cities like miami and stuff and such a high population of minorities.

Minorities are often more religious than caucasians so I'm confused by your point. 

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Depends on the minority. Definitely true of some! But south Florida specifically the Miami area is full of minorities that are not religious. And we have tons in central fl here also. Not many minority churches around us though.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Minorities are often more religious than caucasians so I'm confused by your point. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

The Hispanic and black communities here are very religious. I tried to find statics on minor ties and religion and couldn't find what I was looking for. It's interesting though. 

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Depends on the minority. Definitely true of some! But south Florida specifically the Miami area is full of minorities that are not religious. And we have tons in central fl here also. Not many minority churches around us though.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

grumpyboston
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Im surprised as ever where you look there is a church
MamaJessx3
by Jess on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM
They definitely aren't as religious around here. I'm a pastors daughter and so I know how hard the churches around here work to do outreach to minorities....usually to no avail.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

The Hispanic and black communities here are very religious. I tried to find statics on minor ties and religion and couldn't find what I was looking for. It's interesting though. 

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)