Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a fourth grader?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Max
  • 10 Replies

I teach fourth grade.

This Tuesday was the FCAT writes test. Part of the test instructions tells the kids that after the test they can't discus the prompt of the test with anyone. 

My friend's daughter is in my class. When she got home that day her mom asked about the test and she refused to say anything. She wouldn't say if she did well or tell her what they were supposed to write about. LOL

Did your fourth grader tell you anything about it?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fygfitness_mom
by Chris on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I hadn't thought to ask her what the prompt was. I asked her how she felt she did and whether it was something fun to write about.

I just asked her what it was and she told me with no hesitation. lol

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

I hadn't thought to ask her what the prompt was. I asked her how she felt she did and whether it was something fun to write about.

LOL

It's one line in the testing directions. I know the reason is because they could have a friend who is absent and it's not fair if they call them and tell them what the prompt is. We never make a big deal about it. 

When I read that line one of the kids asked if they could tell thier parents. So I just reread the line and smiled. I could care less if they tell their parents.

fygfitness_mom
by Chris on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

LOL

It's one line in the testing directions. I know the reason is because they could have a friend who is absent and it's not fair if they call them and tell them what the prompt is. We never make a big deal about it. 

When I read that line one of the kids asked if they could tell thier parents. So I just reread the line and smiled. I could care less if they tell their parents.

I can see children doing that. Mine were taught that nothing is too big a secret to keep from mom and dad though. We instilled that early on to hopefully help combat any unsavory behavior or people saying you can't tell your parents. No one trumps mom! (My daughter has actually used that line.) LOL

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

LOL

I can see children doing that. Mine were taught that nothing is too big a secret to keep from mom and dad though. We instilled that early on to hopefully help combat any unsavory behavior or people saying you can't tell your parents. No one trumps mom! (My daughter has actually used that line.) LOL

That's why I didn't tell the kids not to tell their parents. I'm not about to tell kids they have to keep secrets from their parents. 

My friend's daughter is such a "letter of the law" kind of girl she wouldn't dream of doing anything that could possibly break a rule. I'm sure the other kids all told their parents if they asked. 

fygfitness_mom
by Chris on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

LOL

That's why I didn't tell the kids not to tell their parents. I'm not about to tell kids they have to keep secrets from their parents. 

My friend's daughter is such a "letter of the law" kind of girl she wouldn't dream of doing anything that could possibly break a rule. I'm sure the other kids all told their parents if they asked. 

Oh I didn't mean that you did, my apologies if it seemed that way.

The reason I even mentioned it is because our eldest, BB, is just as you described. She is a rule lover and wouldn't dream of breaking them, the guilt would eat at her. This way she is let off the hook, so to speak. She understands the "chain of command" as her dad likes to say. LOL

Again, I'm sorry if it seemed like that was what I was implying.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

LOL

Oh I didn't mean that you did, my apologies if it seemed that way.

The reason I even mentioned it is because our eldest, BB, is just as you described. She is a rule lover and wouldn't dream of breaking them, the guilt would eat at her. This way she is let off the hook, so to speak. She understands the "chain of command" as her dad likes to say. LOL

Again, I'm sorry if it seemed like that was what I was implying.

No, not at all. I didn't think you meant anything like that :)

dawnie1
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM

He would tell me nothing. My hub and I had a meeting with teachers and tutors yesterday and they would tell us nothing. I reckon it's a top secret kinda thing. Whatever, I am NOT a FCAT fan.

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

i don't remember if my son told me his last year or not.  if he did, i certainly don't remember the topic.  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

i don't remember if my son told me his last year or not.  if he did, i certainly don't remember the topic.  

Last year's topic was to write a story about what could happen on a camel ride. 

There was a big controversy because people thought kids didn't know what a camel was. None of my students had an issue with the prompt though. 

sheri305
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)