Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Florida Man Swallowed Alive by Sinkhole

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

A Florida man is trapped under rubble inside a 100-foot-wide, 15-foot-deep sinkhole that collapsed the bedroom portion of his home overnight, police said.

It is unsafe for rescue crews to conduct a search for the Tampa-area man, 36, who has not been named, because the sinkhole is continuing to expand, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

The man's brother tried to pull the victim from the hole during the collapse, ABC affiliate WFTS-TV reported. The first Hillsborough County deputy on that scene pulled the brother from the still collapsing hole,according to WFTS.

Listening devices and cameras have been placed inside the hole, the Hillsborough county fire department told ABC News.

There has been no contact with the victim, but Fire and Rescue officials are not ready to presume him dead.

Unlike most, the sinkhole, which reportedly began around 11 p.m. Thursday, started inside the man's home, not outside. The family awoke to a surprising scene as the sinkhole devoured the walls of the home and swallowed up one of the occupants.

Police evacuated the other residents from the structure, as well as the two surrounding homes. Officials say the home could go at any moment.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mylove1023
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow! My fiance told me about this around 7am this morning. My 1st thought was, "I wonder if it's my ex"? He happens to live in Brandon where this happened. I'll will be finding out for certain because I'm definitely curious and would need to know what say to our 5 yr old. Whomever it is, I hope they are okay. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM

My ex also lives over that way.... Could be him,Don't think I could get that lucky. Joking of course. I do hope this man is able to be rescued and everything ends up okay!

Dinimon
by Diana on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Oh gosh, hope they can get him out soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jbirdsladie27
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Saw it on the news early this morning, scary!!
MamaJessx3
by Jess on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Scary! Especially considering my dh does sinkhole investigations for a living. He treats sinkholes so nonchalantly. I know this is a rare occurance (in fact it will be the first time anyone has ever died in a sinkhole in fl) but its still scary.
fla33023
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Any update? Are they able to search for him yet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by gmadiane on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

lol

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

My ex also lives over that way.... Could be him,Don't think I could get that lucky. Joking of course. I do hope this man is able to be rescued and everything ends up okay!

lukee
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I know several people whose homes were determined tohave sinkholes under them--ins paid them for the house and they have continued to live in them--without making changes needed--wonder how they slept last night

strictmomhere
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
I have no idea how DH handles what's going on with his health. He's been diabetic for 21 years and now he has celiac disease. :(
Yesterday at 8:59 PM
by Linnette on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Saw this in the paper this morning. Yikes!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)