Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Guess what I found? **** UPDATE AND PICS *****

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 22 Replies

My friend and I were driving back to her place from an event and she almost ran over a dog. The poor thing seemed lost and I felt that if I left her there, she'd get run over sooner or later so I put her in the back seat. She just hopped in slowly. When I transferred her to the back of my Navigator, I helped her up and noticed she had pupps recently but she had no tags. Just a nasty makeshift chain color. At home, we realized that she's a pure bread Pitbull and apparently hurt a little on the side of her face. Probably in another fight with another dog but not too bad. She ducked her head and tail when hubby went to get her out of the SUV.. At no time did she appear hostile or growl in any way. We fed her and she at everything while we watched. Again, no aggression. Not sure if we're going to keep her though. She seems like a good dog but the Pit breed worries us with two young kids and not to mention, I have a small dog that doesn't like other dogs. In fact, she thinks she's human. We had an American Staff mix Lab and he was a good dog. Much bigger than this one but that's one breed away from being a Pit. Does or Has anyone had a Pit? What can you tell me about it being a family dog?

***UPDATE 3/8/2013 *** I spoke with my friend and her husband asked questions about the dog. It appears that he feeds the dog often because the owners don't take care of the dog and it's always roaming. They say the dog is well behaved. This morning we have played ball in the back yard with her, she loves playing and even though I tried to kick it from under her, she wasn't aggressive in the least. She'd hold the ball like saying "My ball!" but that was about it. Hubby cut the lawn and she didn't even bark or become aggressive. We introduced her to our small dog and nothing so she seems to be well tempered. My husband has fed her by hand and no problem. Nothing we've done does she seem to change her happy mood. Yes, she's killed two balls but that's about it. Hubby even bathed her. She was black with dirt. It appears that the prior owners cut her ears to make her look vicious and did a lousy job. My friend says that the dog got along with their big dog and that she's even gone in the house. I don't believe I want to return her to the prior owners because the dog seemed pretty abused there. Right now, it appears that we're going to keep her. We're trying everything to get her to show some possible aggression and she seems to be very very tame. Not even a growl. SEE PICS IN REPLY POST... Just scroll down..

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaiasMommy619
by Safina on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I honestly cant tell you how the dog would be...I have a story about Pitbulls but its not a positive one...so I dont know if I will tell you it right now. GOod Luck with it! Hopefully someone can help!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My friend had a pit. He was good with the kids, but terrible around other animals. She couldn't have other dogs over or bring him anywhere there could be dogs. 

He did growl at a mutual friend once. We thought he might have smelled her dog on her. 

wingsfan1234
by Amy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

We are caring for a pit right now for my brother-n-law.  He's great with my girls (6 and 4) and any other kids/people that come around. the only thing we've noticed is the other day my husband walked in with a cowboy hat on and both the pit and our other dog started barking like crazy til that hat came off, neither did more than bark but still 

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I have read that they are great with people but not with other dogs and I do have a bed dweller.. lol.. So we'll see how this dog does, otherwise, I may have to give her to Pet Rescue by Judy or another "No Kill" shelter. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

My friend had a pit. He was good with the kids, but terrible around other animals. She couldn't have other dogs over or bring him anywhere there could be dogs. 

He did growl at a mutual friend once. We thought he might have smelled her dog on her. 

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I have another dog and when my husband's friend comes over, who likes to wear a cowboy hat, she just parks and growls at him. Lucy is a completely passive dog yet she goes nuts when he comes over. We're not too sure if it's the cowboy hat or that she smells his cats on him but it's really a change of character for her.  I think the new dog, Lola, may do well with the kids but concerned about Lucy and her getting along. We'll see. I did tell my friend to keep an ear out for the owner but not sure I want her returned to the owner, I found her in an undesirable area and with the chain she had around her neck, I'm not sure that they weren't just using her for breeding so I'm a little weary for that reason. 

Quoting wingsfan1234:

We are caring for a pit right now for my brother-n-law.  He's great with my girls (6 and 4) and any other kids/people that come around. the only thing we've noticed is the other day my husband walked in with a cowboy hat on and both the pit and our other dog started barking like crazy til that hat came off, neither did more than bark but still 

loveTHEviking
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww.. poor doggy. You did a wonderful thing by taking her in & feeding her :). We have/had a full blood American Pit & she is the best dog I have ever owned. When we moved we couldn't take her b/c of the bred she was (stupid) so DH's mom is taking care of her for us! I can't wait to move & get her back. Anyhow.. she is spade & seriously she is a very good dog, smart & she loves my boys to death. They can sit on her, roll around on her or w/ her lol, tug her ears, her tail & she's just whatever. She never shows any sign of aggression. She's been around forever & my boys love her. Everytime we go to MIL's house she's so happy to see them :)! She hardly ever barks & she is very protective of HER family. She was the first dog DH & I got together & she also gets along really well w/ other dogs & she LOVES cats lol.

dawnie1
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I am, let's just say over 40 & leave it at that. I have a 13 yr old boy kid & a 11 yr old boy kid. I have owned Pit Bulls and Am Staffs since I was 19. Some are dog aggressive and others are not. Imo they are the best dogs in the world. I have the name of a Pit rescue here in FL if you need it. You are a good person for picking up that dog. So many people would have blown right by her. Thank you.

dawnie1
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, just had to add of coarse you know not to leave ANY strange dog alone with your children until you know what is up.

LadyBast
by Brenda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I would never have one of them I would call and see if she has a chip and get rid of her.. She could have gotten lost too!

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I spoke with my friend and her husband asked questions about the dog. It appears that he feeds the dog often because the owners don't take care of the dog and that it's well behaved. This morning we have played ball in the back yard with her, she loves playing and even though I tried to kick it from under her, she wasn't aggressive in the least. She'd hold the ball like saying "My ball!" but that was about it. Hubby cut the lawn and she didn't even bark or become aggresive. We introduced her to our small dog and nothing so she seems to be well tempered. My husband has fed her by hand and no problem. Nothing we've done does she seem to change her happy mood. Yes, she's killed two balls but that's about it. Hubby even bathed her. She was black with dirt. It appears that the prior owners cut her ears to make her look vicious and did a lousy job. My friend says that the dog got along with their big dog and that she's even gone in the house. I don't believe I want to return her to the prior owners because the dog seemed pretty abused there. Right now, it appears that we're going to keep her. We're trying everything to get her to show some possible aggression and she seems to be very very tame. Not even a growl. 

Here's pics of her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN