Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

What has your child's school told you?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Max
  • 31 Replies

Do you know the standards for education are changing in the state of Florida?

Florida, like most states across the country, has adopted the Common Core Standards for education. 

There will be some pretty significant changes to how children are taught and what they are expected to be able to do. FCAT is also on it's way out. But it will be replaced by the PARCC in grades K-12. 

Has your school done anything to let parents know about the changes taking place?

We are trying to find the best way to convey this to parents at our school. 

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM

the only thing we've been told is that the FCAT is switching to computer testing rather than paper.

strictmomhere
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Nothing yet:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dinimon
by Diana on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM
My kids aren't in school yet
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadyBast
by Brenda on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Sorry no help Ash was special needs but still had to take a test at her level!

hsummersill
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

They have been switching tests and standards in my county for 5 years. NONE of the changes have been inmprovements

lukee
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

There was an article in our newspaper today about it--I did like the idea of those not planning on college having courses that would make them more job ready--I understood the basics still had to be met by all--I grew up where there was two courses of study --locals and regents--however we did get tested--locals final grades in each class was determined more by day to day work and regents you could be a total screw off , pass the test and still pass the class. I pity the teachers that seem to be constantly being told --okay that rule was yesterday --today we are doing this. I think the biggest problem children have in school is parents that do not participate with their childrens learning except when kid gets in trouble to go running in claiming its not his/her fault. I may seem harsh but my kids were controlled, disciplined when needed, did not get everything they wanted and were expected to get decent grades in school--parents say --we are too busy too tired , too poor--I say BS--I worked two jobs, had a garden, cooked at home hung laundry out no dryer. As far as I am concerned the most important job I ever had was to raise my two sons to have it better than I did, to respect others, and to live their lives as productive members of society. Grabs soapbox and runs to the corner  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Quoting lukee:

There was an article in our newspaper today about it--I did like the idea of those not planning on college having courses that would make them more job ready--I understood the basics still had to be met by all--I grew up where there was two courses of study --locals and regents--however we did get tested--locals final grades in each class was determined more by day to day work and regents you could be a total screw off , pass the test and still pass the class. I pity the teachers that seem to be constantly being told --okay that rule was yesterday --today we are doing this. I think the biggest problem children have in school is parents that do not participate with their childrens learning except when kid gets in trouble to go running in claiming its not his/her fault. I may seem harsh but my kids were controlled, disciplined when needed, did not get everything they wanted and were expected to get decent grades in school--parents say --we are too busy too tired , too poor--I say BS--I worked two jobs, had a garden, cooked at home hung laundry out no dryer. As far as I am concerned the most important job I ever had was to raise my two sons to have it better than I did, to respect others, and to live their lives as productive members of society. Grabs soapbox and runs to the corner  

LOL

You can stay on that soap box all day if you want!!! 

I posted this in three groups and you're one of very few people who know anything about it. The emphasis is on getting kids "college and career ready" by helping them develop problem solving and critical thinking skills. In order to do that we need to raise the expectations. I am very concerned about parents not supporting it especially since some of the media hype is very negative. 

BeachLifeMama
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Nope not yet.

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Not that I'm aware of but the FCAT sucks so I'm glad it's out the door. My kids are in Autistic classrooms so they basically follow a different set of rules. 

MamaJessx3
by Jess on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I'm on the SAC committee at my kids school plus I use to be a teacher so I knew this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN