Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

In Need of Employment

Posted by   + Show Post

I am seeking to get my career started. I have a BS in Hospitality Management, and an AA in Patiserrie and Baking. I would love something in that field, but don't mind working outside of it, as long as I can grow with the company. My last position was with a small Training and Development company as an Exec. Assistant (2.5 years) and while doing that I also worked at W Hotel (3 mos) in the pastry kitchen (internship, but had to quit because of a high-risk pregnancy).  I live in Miami, but am willing to relocate anywhere in Florida as long as the salary is enough to maintain the cost of living for myself and my three boys. 

I know this is probably not the best place to seek employement, because the conversation on here can get quite candid, but I thought I'd go for it and use all my resources. Please don't hold anything I might've said against me; it doesn't interfere with my ability to get the job done. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. Thanks. 

Cafe Jewel

juggling

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Replies (11-17):
lukee
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

What you perceive is what you receive

try to approach it with a can  do attitude

MamaFrankie
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Down here they don't pay half as much as they did back in NJ or even North Carolina. I live in Dade Co. most places you need to be bilingual. I'm trying to make the best of my situation but the pay offers I HAVE gotten for what jobs I could find as a receptionist and dental assistant is way under wage for my experience and education in NJ i was getting paid 14 an hour. here they want to pay me 10 max in most places. Every state is different i supposed. just wasn't expecting such a low ball of income

Quoting nomadbrat83:

I suppose that depends on where you live and what types of jobs you are looking for. I have had not had difficulty finding jobs here, nor has most of the people I know.

Quoting MamaFrankie:

This state has NO jobs! which is why I'm happy to be leaving in a few montshs

nomadbrat83
by Group Admin on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Well cost of living in many places in Florida are cheaper than NJ.  Also there is no state tax so that helps (don't know if NJ has state tax). I have lived all over the country (I was a military brat and up until hubby got out at the end of 2011 a military spouse) so I have experience in lots of different state job markets.  I have definitely lived in states where it is harder to find a job a than FL. I fact I received a new job offer last week and accepted it (I currently work part-time for a non-profit).  Healthcare, hospitality, government contracting, social services, etc, are fields that tend to be easy to find jobs here.  I wish you good luck in your future career search.

Quoting MamaFrankie:

Down here they don't pay half as much as they did back in NJ or even North Carolina. I live in Dade Co. most places you need to be bilingual. I'm trying to make the best of my situation but the pay offers I HAVE gotten for what jobs I could find as a receptionist and dental assistant is way under wage for my experience and education in NJ i was getting paid 14 an hour. here they want to pay me 10 max in most places. Every state is different i supposed. just wasn't expecting such a low ball of income

Quoting nomadbrat83:

I suppose that depends on where you live and what types of jobs you are looking for. I have had not had difficulty finding jobs here, nor has most of the people I know.

Quoting MamaFrankie:

This state has NO jobs! which is why I'm happy to be leaving in a few montshs

JewelJones
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Im in the hospitality field, which is what I majored is and so is my husband, who majored in Criminal Justice. In my job search compared to his, I can't even get a low-ball job offer, but he finds jobs left and right. The difference is he has years of experience and I have less than a year and clearly no one gives a s*** about my degree. If I could go back, I'd be sure not to waste time in pursuing it and made sure I put that time in gaining the experience. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING! I need to find a career couselor or something who can help me market myself better and revamp my resume, which has no clear direction, anyway. I just want a shot at something where I can grow and have it not cost me to work there (when I calculate the gas and childcare that I 'd have to pay compared to the amount I'd be making) and not be dreadful. Is that too much to ask? Sometimes I just feel like I'm just not meant to work outside the home, except I just can't afford to stay home.

nomadbrat83
by Group Admin on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Yep experience and education are key in this job market. It's why I alway encourage internships and the like.  What type of places have you been applying to and what job positions?

Quoting JewelJones:

Im in the hospitality field, which is what I majored is and so is my husband, who majored in Criminal Justice. In my job search compared to his, I can't even get a low-ball job offer, but he finds jobs left and right. The difference is he has years of experience and I have less than a year and clearly no one gives a s*** about my degree. If I could go back, I'd be sure not to waste time in pursuing it and made sure I put that time in gaining the experience. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING! I need to find a career couselor or something who can help me market myself better and revamp my resume, which has no clear direction, anyway. I just want a shot at something where I can grow and have it not cost me to work there (when I calculate the gas and childcare that I 'd have to pay compared to the amount I'd be making) and not be dreadful. Is that too much to ask? Sometimes I just feel like I'm just not meant to work outside the home, except I just can't afford to stay home.

JewelJones
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I have applied to many pastry cook positions. I also have applied for many administrative positions and in any environment. I also appliy to any position that I may come across that seems like I can handle the responsibilites of. 

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Yep experience and education are key in this job market. It's why I alway encourage internships and the like.  What type of places have you been applying to and what job positions?

Quoting JewelJones:

JDsWifey
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I can't speak for other cities in Florida, but Orlando and the Central Florida area would have jobs in your field (especially since it is a major tourist area which, of course, requires those in the hospitality field). Best of luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN