Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Toddler's deadly fall at Marion day care under investigation

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 9 Replies

Marion County deputies are investigating the suspicious death of toddler at an unlicensed day care.

According to the incident report, the day care operator told investigators the child fell off a chair and hit his head during nap time on March 23.

The babysitter said the students were lying down for nap, except 1-year-old Ellis Padgett. As the babysitter opened the back door of the day care to let a puppy out, she turned around and saw Padgett standing up on a plastic toddler chair. Before she could tell him to get down, she said the child fell straight back in a stiff position and knocked himself unconscious.

The babysitter said the child was still breathing, but not moving or responding to commands.

The child was flown to Shands Hospital in Gainesville where he was pronounced brain dead. He died a few days later.

Doctors at Shands said the child's injuries were inconsistent with the story provided by the babysitter.

The day care operator applied for a license, but was denied about a month because her husband failed a background check. The operator has agreed to stop operating the day care at this time. She was caring for at least five other children.

Detectives are continuing to investigate the incident and charges are pending.

(PHOTO/Facebook) Twenty-month-old Ellis Padgett was standing in a plastic toddler chair when he fell back and knocked himself unconscious. He died days later.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM

How horrible

LadyBast
by Brenda on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

So sad..

Mommytolas
by Tricia on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Oh my gosh unimaginable and so scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

That's horrible

gmadiane
by gmadiane on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

sad

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Sad :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loveTHEviking
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:12 AM

I saw this on the news this morning... so damn sad :'(.

Dinimon
by Diana on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Oh my god, that's so horrible...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
craftyperson59
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

What a horrible thing for a parent to have to go through!  My prayers are going out to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)