• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have experience with workmans comp?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 10 Replies
Rob got injured at work back in November or December. He has a torn ligament (I think. It's something in his shoulder and it snaps and cracks when he moves it).
He went to a doctor and workers comp sent him to one of their doctors. Well, he had to do physical therapy 3-4 times a week. He wasn't making any progress and had an appointment with his doctor today. The doctor says he needs to be off work. And that he will need to continue therapy and if its not better in a month he needs surgery. Well, his doctor won't write him off for work. He said the employer needs to do that, all he wrote down is "no use of left arm/shoulder. No lifting left arm above shoulder. No pushing or lifting objects with left shoulder". The thing is, rob is the one that runs the kitchen at work.He's the ONLY one that runs the kitchen. He does it all. So if he needs time off, the boss has to come in and do robs work but the boss owns another, larger business that needs constant maintenance too. So he will most likely not give him time off unless the doctor writes him a note. I don't get it, I thought it was always the doctor that writes the note, not the employer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dinimon
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Could be something with the cartilage instead of ligament, I'm not sure right now. I don't have the paperwork with me.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I don't but here's a bump!
Dinimon
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Quoting KylesMom409:

I don't but here's a bump!
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM
When I talk to DH later I will ask him. He may know how this workers comp thing works.
Dinimon
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Cool, thanks. :)

Quoting mamamedic69:

When I talk to DH later I will ask him. He may know how this workers comp thing works.
lukee
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

may need to talk to an attorney--one that specializes in employment issues--if not addressed could result in permanent damage. Boss might consider hiring student from culinary school to do Robs work with Rob supervising operation --will give student experience and rob relief. Dr writes the note of what can and cannot do --Rob needs to abide by it, not do anything dr says he should not--even if he is at work. He can collect check and what gets done gets done--at that point employer can decide if to use workmans comp  to pay or find someone to come in and have rob oversee--sorry kind of rambling but hopefully u understand

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

It's the doctor who needs to write a "no work" notice to the employer. The employer is not a doctor to determine if the injury is bad enough that he can't work but the doctor is. 

If this is a W.C. claim, he needs to see the W.C. Doctor and that doctor should write the excuse. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure bump.

Dinimon
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM
He does see a W.C. Doctor. He said if he hasn't improved by may 6th he will get scheduled for surgery.

Quoting GOBryan:

It's the doctor who needs to write a "no work" notice to the employer. The employer is not a doctor to determine if the injury is bad enough that he can't work but the doctor is. 

If this is a W.C. claim, he needs to see the W.C. Doctor and that doctor should write the excuse. 

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

He's the one that should give the work release. 

Quoting Dinimon:

He does see a W.C. Doctor. He said if he hasn't improved by may 6th he will get scheduled for surgery.

Quoting GOBryan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)