Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

What's your skincare routine?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 11 Replies

In Your Daily Routine, Less Is More

by Lindsay Mannering 

shower headThere's something to be said for the old adage that less is more. Even though there are thousands of fancy products on the market that promise to make you look 10 years younger, it seems to me that they're all just a bunch of chemicals packaged in pretty bottles that will do more harm than good. I'm borderline obsessed with skincare, so I've tried it all -- my bathroom cabinet is chock-full of creams, serums, and, yeah, I've got a mechanical exfoliator or two in there -- but I find the things that make my skin the happiest are the bare minimum, tried and true basics.

Like warm water and natural soap. It's kinda frustrating because I want to believe that the more money I spend, the better I'm doing by my skin, but it's just not the case. My skin looks healthiest and happiest when I leave it alone. And I really mean "leave it alone" -- sometimes I don't even wash my face. I just sort of rinse it with water in the shower. Of course if I have makeup on, I'll use soap, but when I'm au naturel, just water does the trick.

The less is more skincare philosophy has worked for my mom -- she's kept it really simple for decades, and the payoffs have been enormous. She could say she's 15 years younger than she is and no one will bat an eye. That woman hasn't used an anti-wrinkle cream in her entire life. Part of that is genetics of course, but part of that is her uncomplicated beauty routine.

Hopefully she's passed down some of those great genes to me, but I'm taking a cue from her no-frills skincare habits to make sure I keep my face looking fresh and youthful. Gentle soap and water: It's simple, it's cheap, it's healthy, and it works. Less totally is more.

What's your skincare routine?

by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dinimon
by Diana on May. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Warm water and soap. Sometimes lotion, lol.
I've never had acne or oily or dry skin, never needed any special products.
strictmomhere
by Nan on May. 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Just wash with warm water and soap:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loveTHEviking
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I wash my face twice a day and moisturize in the morning. Nothing super special.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Same here

Quoting strictmomhere:

strictmomhere
by Nan on May. 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM
:)

Quoting KylesMom409:

Same here

Quoting strictmomhere:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBast
by Brenda on May. 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Wash my face w/an am cleaner not expensive and use cream around my eyes, at night same cleaner and then I use an oil on my eyes then eye cream also.. When I want to exfoliate I use sugar/salt combo more sugar than salt the salt dries so I use a little only then I use a momoisturizer after I do it especially on the eyes! The eyes are what show age so I tend to take care of the wrinkles!

JDsWifey
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I wash it with a natural cleanser in the shower and sometimes put a few dabs of oil-free moisturizer on any dry spots.

lukee
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

biggest favor you can do your face is keeping it out of the sun--second one I try to remember is when drying face --pat--do not pull down on face with towel etc--it will get there soon enough. In the past couple years I have begun using moisturizer and eye gel--and now a neck firming cream--all inexpensive --Rabanda I find at Marshalls--I have this glob of flesh on my neck that reminds me of a turkey and the firming stuff is good in that it no longer flutters in the breeze--oh yes and make up is something I seldom ever used --at 70 I think the wrinkles cannot be avoided but I have earned them

jbirdsladie27
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Wash, moisturize and go
Fairegirl33
by Melissa on May. 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I use the Mary Kay Velocity skin care line... I love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)