Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

For the First Time in 10 Years!!!

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 18 Replies
5 moms liked this

A little over 10 years ago my life was completely changed by a drunk driver.  He t-boned our car and almost killed me.  He left me with all kinds of physical issues (some of which are now compounding upon themselves). One of the biggest was facial and brain trauma.  The right side of my face is 80% paralyzed.

My children have been getting into balloons lately... big time!!!  They constantly want someone to blow up a balloon so they can toss it around.  My husband is a truck driver so I'm home alone 90% of the time.  He's the balloon inflater.  2 days ago, my son asked me to blow up a balloon.  I haven't done it in 10 years because the right side of my mouth doesn't work.  He looked at me with a smile and said 'Mommy, you can do it!  You can do anything!!  Try really hard, Mommy'.  So I sat there with this balloon for about 15 minutes but couldnt do it. I cried and told him that Mommy's face doesn't work right. He kept urging me on and then finally..... Then I used my right hand and held my mouth closed.  I did it!!!  I cried and he jumped around like a mania clapping.  Yesterday we went out and bought bags and bags of balloons!!!  My next feat is to ride a bicycle.  I'm not sure how my pelvis will feel about it but it is time to step out of the box!!

For the average person, this seems trivial but if you can imagine...  I blew up my first balloon in 10 years!!!  It took the voice and encouragement of my 5 year old boy to get me to do it... to try again after hundreds of failed attempts.

I had to share!!!  Remember, you can do ANYTHING if you try hard enough!!  Never let anything get in your way... even when you feel as though you can't... try harder and try again and again!!

by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lukee
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

oh my congratulations--your story made me tear up. How very lukee I have been--something I take for granted is a big deal to another and so often that is the way it is . I say you are one terrific mom making the effort for your little boy and now preparing to take on another task --I am so proud of you and what a remarkable lady you are--

jbirdsladie27
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
There is a group for those of us with TBI's and families with members who have TBI's, I will send you an invite if you'd like

And congratulations on your milestone, that's quite the feat!!!
Dinimon
by Diana on May. 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I'm so happy for you. ;)
EmmasMom0706
by Val on May. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

That's a wonderful story! Keep up the good work mama!

strictmomhere
by Nan on May. 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Yay thats great:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by Jess on May. 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM
That's so great!!
JDsWifey
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Wow...that is awesome and inspiring. Thanks for sharing:)

KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Definitely! :) So happy for you!

Quoting EmmasMom0706:

That's a wonderful story! Keep up the good work mama!

heatherhall29
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM
That is wonderful. It is great to have a little cheerleader giving you encouragement. Love your story.
fla33023
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM

That is awesome! And your little one was so proud of you! You taught him a great lesson about trying...you just might succeed :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)