Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Black Mold, Anyone? **** UPDATE!!!

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 26 Replies

Any of you fabulous ladies ever had black mold exposure... really any mold for that matter?  That's the fantastic situation we are living in here in Ocala.  And all of the health issues associated.  We've been in this rental since May.  It seemed really nice... nice quiet neighborhood, nice neighbors, nice nice nice.  Then I started seeing it.  I've seen it growing from behind the caulk but I bleach it away.  A couple of days ago, I opened up the toilet tank and it's filled with FREAKIN MOLD!!  It's black but I know that doesn't mean it's toxic black mold.  So now I have a petri dish out in the bathroom to test for the nasty crap.  

When we moved in, the owner (who loves to show up unannounced) told me that there was a very bad water leak here.  He had to replace tiles and flooring and piping.  There's shelving under the sinks warping and falling down.  Now this....

We've been feeling ill for the past month or so and it's getting worse.  I called the rental company and they said that if I say the word MOLD, we ave to move immediately.  No offer to help.  No sympathy or worry.  And we do not have the faculties to move for the next 2-3 weeks or so.  I think it's because they KNOW that there is mold.  Now I have to wait 48 hours to see if we have any airborne mold.  

Just needed a soap box to vent on... Bullhorn down, dismounting soap box....

Update 9/14

Well we made our great escape on Wed.  Our bodies are repairing.  My breathing is coming back.  My kids are having less bowel/digestive problems.  My son hasn't had a nosebleed in 2 days and is becoming much less violent.  My daughter is awake and not constantly asking me if she can sleep in my bed.  The visual and auditory hallucinations are almost gone.  

We handed in the keys on Thursday.  The mngmt company didn't argue.  We were released from the lease and are awaiting our deposit.  The calls are going into the health department.  The manager advised that all homes in Florida have mold, which is a lie to cover their arses.  My husband responded by saying 'Yeah, maybe all of YOUR homes for rent in FL.  We should call the health department but you don't want us to do that, right?  You know they will deem the home uninhabitable and they will start to investigate all of your properties.'  The manager agreed and said they take mold very seriously.  Slum lords.  Dirtbag slum lords.

When we had everything packed into the truck, we took more pictures.  There were tufts of black mold growing on the garage walls behind shelving.  It was growing in tufts under the carpets in the master bedroom.  No wonder we were so sick.  My husband was almost in tears and said how sorry he was to have us living in a place like that.  There is no way he or I would have known when we moved in so it was no fault of ours.  

Thank God we got out of there so easy breezy.  We found a rental almost immediately and we move in Friday.  We were blessed with a fully furnished temporary home until then.  We will be renting in the St. Cloud area.  So pretty and perfect for us!

Mold is nasty nasty stuff.  If you're dizzy, nauseous, delirious or if you have digestive issues, joint issues, etc etc etc with no known cause (and the symptoms seem to start overnight for the most part), check for mold.  Check in your home or office.  Mold sickness is real.     

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lukee
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM

The owner has a serious issue to deal with and you of course need to find out how you are affected and make plans to move if need be. I am sorry this is happening but at least the mold is visible and you can consider it as the source of recent illness.. Many times the leak or mosture intrusion is not visible --inside a wall or ??? and people are ill without knowing why or where to look. Trust you have this resolved quickly--sending you a hug as you go thru this

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Thank you, lukee.  I currently have my petri dish with agar in the bathroom. 48-96 hrs. We have 24 more hours until mold may start to form.  If it does, it means that it is airborne.  If it doesn't, well, we are all crazy and/or there is something else going on.  I doubt the test will be inconclusive considering the visual mold in the toilet tanks and the formation of the nasty black stuff from behind the bathroom tiles.  

I am having symptoms of MS again.  This is what happened when we lived in a mold house in IL.  My son is having nosebleeds and extreme anger issues.  My daughter is having issues with her digestive tract.  My husband has similar symptoms to mine each time he leaves the house to go on truck for a week.  

Ohhh and by the way, I don't know if you remember, but I had posted a couple of months ago that I quit smoking.  Guess what... Still no smokes!!! 3 months next week!!  I'm not even smoking with all of this mess going on!!!

Quoting lukee:

The owner has a serious issue to deal with and you of course need to find out how you are affected and make plans to move if need be. I am sorry this is happening but at least the mold is visible and you can consider it as the source of recent illness.. Many times the leak or mosture intrusion is not visible --inside a wall or ??? and people are ill without knowing why or where to look. Trust you have this resolved quickly--sending you a hug as you go thru this

LadyBast
by Brenda on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Yes I have in 04 when we had the hurricanes it was miserable they moved the house a tad off of its foundation and we had mold Ash had seizures a lot then we changed meds and it was hell, I could not breathe and had to start using an inhaler...

It took them forever and we had to make them do a test to see how bad the mold was before the would do a thing not a happy mamma here at all, but they did replace the house the mold would not have gone away so we made them pay it off and replace it got a new house..

Black mold is the worst it is very harmful to your health... I would move now!

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM

We've got the petri dish out.  It looks like we can get the money together to get out of here in about 2 to 3 weeks.  The MS symptoms are scaring me....the nosebleeds too... all of it.  

How long did it take before you were on the inhaler?  We've been here since May.  It got bad once the rain and heat got worse.  Then the owner had the a/c replaced for no reason... boom... sick!!! 

Quoting LadyBast:

Yes I have in 04 when we had the hurricanes it was miserable they moved the house a tad off of its foundation and we had mold Ash had seizures a lot then we changed meds and it was hell, I could not breathe and had to start using an inhaler...

It took them forever and we had to make them do a test to see how bad the mold was before the would do a thing not a happy mamma here at all, but they did replace the house the mold would not have gone away so we made them pay it off and replace it got a new house..

Black mold is the worst it is very harmful to your health... I would move now!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I would call the Florida department of health to see what mitigation might be available. You could also try the Department of Consumer Protection and any county office that may be able to help.
MaiasMommy619
by Safina on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Oh my! That is so horrible! So the rental company isn't doing anything to remedy the issue? That's beyond me. But to answer your question I never had to live in a home with any sort of mold. I had a friend who's home was full of mold and she started to hallucinate.. Here in South Florida. That's how bad it was. Try to leave ASAP it's not worth it!! Good luck!
ambertreas76
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

That would be our next course of action.  If mold develops in the petri, then we've got a tree trunk, not just a leg, to stand on. It falls under 'landlord material noncompliance'.  There are actually no mold laws here like Cali or NY. After we hand the landlord the results and the material noncompliance forms, they are required by law to give back our deposit within 90 days and release us from the lease without any dings to rental history.  If that doesn't happen, then it's time for a lawyer if we even want to bother.  I'll be happy to be released from the lease unscathed.    

Quoting mamamedic69:

I would call the Florida department of health to see what mitigation might be available. You could also try the Department of Consumer Protection and any county office that may be able to help.

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM

They offered no help.  They threatened me with being homeless and that leads me to belief that they know there is mold here.  Complete dirtbags!

Quoting MaiasMommy619:

Oh my! That is so horrible! So the rental company isn't doing anything to remedy the issue? That's beyond me. But to answer your question I never had to live in a home with any sort of mold. I had a friend who's home was full of mold and she started to hallucinate.. Here in South Florida. That's how bad it was. Try to leave ASAP it's not worth it!! Good luck!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM
That stinks that Florida doesn't have laws for this. I guess it only pertains to builders. Here in jax there was an apartment complex that was built on a golf course but they failed to let it "dry" properly and black mold moved in. The owner had to pay big bucks in mitigation.

Quoting ambertreas76:

That would be our next course of action.  If mold develops in the petri, then we've got a tree trunk, not just a leg, to stand on. It falls under 'landlord material noncompliance'.  There are actually no mold laws here like Cali or NY. After we hand the landlord the results and the material noncompliance forms, they are required by law to give back our deposit within 90 days and release us from the lease without any dings to rental history.  If that doesn't happen, then it's time for a lawyer if we even want to bother.  I'll be happy to be released from the lease unscathed.    

Quoting mamamedic69:

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yep.  That's the building law.  Its so crazy but there is no specific mold law.  It all falls under non-compliance.  Either way, I don't think I want to bother with lawsuits.  I just want to be released from the lease once the results show that we have a big problem.  Then we can cleanse out our systems.  I still can't believe that the only thing those SOBs said to me was 'Mold.  Do you realize what you said?  Just saying that word means that you have to vacate IMMEDIATELY.  Don't throw that word around.'  Nothing about helping me and my 4 and 5 yr old.  And Dan is on truck until Tues.  Hopefully the petri dish will be showing the mold by then.  48-96 hours.  We are 24 hrs in now. 

Quoting mamamedic69:

That stinks that Florida doesn't have laws for this. I guess it only pertains to builders. Here in jax there was an apartment complex that was built on a golf course but they failed to let it "dry" properly and black mold moved in. The owner had to pay big bucks in mitigation.

Quoting ambertreas76:

Quoting mamamedic69:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN