Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Advice Needed: Moving to Miami

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello!  We are a military family and we will be transferring to Miami, Florida in a few months.  My husband and I were both born and raised in Indiana.  We love Florida and we've always wanted to live in Florida. We visited Miami for one day last year, however, I know nothing about living there.  

Does anyone currently live (or has ever lived) in or near the Miami area? Our goal is to find a home or apt outside of Miami. Ex: Doral, FL

We'll also be looking for a reputable elementary school for our daughter as well.

Any advice on where to look or NOT to look would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Stay at Home/Work at Home Wife & Mom

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fla33023
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Hi and welcome to the group! There are only a few moms here that live that far south but hopefully someone will be along with some help. I can give you the site where you can check school grades when I get to my laptop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
artemisa3001
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Hi!

I live basically in Miami and work in Miami.

If your main focus is school, find that first and then we might be able to help you figure out where to live.

You mention Doral as outside Miami... Sorry, Doral is part of Miami. The whole thing is more like a metropolitan area, everything is integrated and traffic is kind of a nightmare.

Welcome to the group and we'll try to help you
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I'm north of Miami, in Port St Lucie. But welcome to the group and good luck with the move! :)
LadyBast
by Brenda on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Welcome to the group and I have no idea I am in Tampa, good luck on your move and enjoy.. I love FL but it is very hot and humid in the Summer!

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I hope you can speak Spanish!

artemisa3001
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

You can survive just fine in Miami without Spanish :)

My DH and MIL have  :)

Quoting MixedCooke:

I hope you can speak Spanish!

MommaElliott
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I will keep you all posted on what I find.  I have 6 months to figure it out, so wish me luck : ) 

MommaElliott
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Hi and thank you! Can you reply with that site where I can check out school grades?  Thanks

Quoting fla33023:

Hi and welcome to the group! There are only a few moms here that live that far south but hopefully someone will be along with some help. I can give you the site where you can check school grades when I get to my laptop.

Stay at Home/Work at Home Wife & Mom

artemisa3001
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I need it too LOL, my little one will be starting 1st grade next year and I need to find school (not my favorite thing to do)

Quoting MommaElliott:

Hi and thank you! Can you reply with that site where I can check out school grades?  Thanks

Quoting fla33023:

Dinimon
by Diana on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm in central Florida. Welcome!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN