Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone live in Tampa, FL?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM
  • 20 Replies

We live in NY, but the weather and cost of living make us to consider to move to Tampa.

My husband's company has an office in Tample Terrace, so school and everything, South Tampa sounds the best UNTIL I readomly read from google about racism in FL. 

According to google, Fl is the most racist state in USA. 

Looks like south Fl has the issue with racism, but I am not sure about Tampa.

I am Asian, and my husband is white American.

Of course my kids are mixed, and that will be my concern when they go to school.

We will visit there during the spring break, but living and visiting will be totally different.

Please please please please give me an honest answer. This is very important.

Thank you in advance. 

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM
I'm on the other coast but here's a bump for you. I know there's a few Tampa area moms in here. ☺️
Stella79
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 6:37 AM

Oh, thank you.

I googled like crazy yesterday, people mostly say Tampa, Orlando, and Miami is ok, so it kind of releaved me..

Sounds like it is still gonna be hard. :(

Mommy2CXh
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 7:15 AM
I live in Tampa moved here two years ago from New England. We haven't encountered any racism. I'm mixed and so is my son. not saying there is none out there just never experienced it.
ZayasMommie
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:38 AM
I live an hour north of Tampa and I don't notice racism....
Frankiexo
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:46 AM
Um im fr Jersey. fL is pretty diverse . Im hispanic and white. Ignorance is everywhere to be honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomtoMandJ
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:49 PM

I live in the north part of Tampa (Lutz).  I have not seen a lot of racism here, maybe some name calling.  Temple Terrace is pretty mixed racially, so I don't think you'll find it so much there.  We are a Puerto Rican/Jewish family. The area where I live is half in the country, and my kids are some of the very few Jewish students, but they've only gotten a couple of curious questions and one "you're going to hell because you don't believe in Jesus."  But I see a lot of mixed families around here and it is peaceful.   I would check the schools and choose where to live depending on the schools.  Commuting here is a little bad, but nothing compared to the NE. We moved here from the DC/Baltimore area. 

Stella79
by on Mar. 18, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Thank you all so much. :)

yroder2003
by Member on Mar. 18, 2015 at 9:04 AM
Tampa is a very mixed city. I have 2 nieces that are bi-racial, and nothing was ever said to them about it. You would have no problem fitting in.
nomadbrat83
by . on Mar. 18, 2015 at 5:43 PM
Tampa area is not racist. I live in the area and my oldest daughter goes to school at an public IB magnet school with a very diverse school population. Several of my friends are mixed or minorities and none think this area is racist. Oh and I'm a military brat and former military spouse and havd loved all over and definitely wouldn't call FL racist (though some areas in the more rural north of FL can be in isolated areas).
JjcH0911
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2015 at 7:06 PM
We live in MD, and we are moving to Fl this year. We too are looking at Tampa. Funny thing, my husband is Asain, and I am white, although I do have asain, way down the bloodline. I am doing a lot of research of FL as well, so maybe we can compare notes. We go down the end of this month to check everything out, so we can start our move in April/ May. Good luck :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)