Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Iowa Ranks 22nd for "Most Religious State

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

According to a recent Gallup Poll 41 percent of Iowans proclaim themselves to be "very religious"

The most religous state (Mississippi) has 59 percent of people proclaiming themselves to be "very religious".  

Any thoughts?  

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
FrogSalad
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I'd say that sounds about right.

I'd love to know the breakdown by county; are the religious/non-religious evenly distributed across the state or concentrated in certain areas?

Most people I know don't come right out and ask about religion in the first 5 minutes of meeting you like they do in the South. 

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

annaica
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
I think it is too. Everyone "belongs" to a church it seems. You're weird if you don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Representative on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I have to agree...I think in the last week, I have been asked, "Which church do you belong to?" at least two times.

Quoting annaica:

I think it is too. Everyone "belongs" to a church it seems. You're weird if you don't.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Hmm.  I don't think I've ever been asked that.  I've been asked if I go to church, but not "Which church do you belong to", as if it was an automatic assumption that I went. 

Quoting meam4444:

I have to agree...I think in the last week, I have been asked, "Which church do you belong to?" at least two times.

Quoting annaica:

Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to admit that when I saw this, I was actually surprised that Iowa was ONLY 22nd on the list.  I was sure it would be much higher.  I know that when we moved here, it was a common question when meeting new families.  

Dannille33
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Quoting Roo1234:

I have to admit that when I saw this, I was actually surprised that Iowa was ONLY 22nd on the list.  I was sure it would be much higher.  I know that when we moved here, it was a common question when meeting new families.  

I was to surprised it was 22nd.
annaica
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM
that must be why it isn't higher on the list! ;-)

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Hmm.  I don't think I've ever been asked that.  I've been asked if I go to church, but not "Which church do you belong to", as if it was an automatic assumption that I went. 

Quoting meam4444:

Quoting annaica:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachel0610
by Rachel on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Yep pretty much and I fit the weirdo spot as I don't belong to a church

Quoting annaica:

easinpc
by Emily on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

To be honest it doesn't really suprise me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)