Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More Iowans Than Ever Support Gay Marriage

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 17 Replies

Iowa doesn't exactly have a reputation for being "cool", right? Iowans instead tend to pride themselves on being practical, hard working, friendly and family orientated. We like politics and value education but we're not usually a state that considers itself very cutting edge.

Except that we are...at least where civil equality in the form of legalized gay marriage is concerned. Gay marriage has been legal for over almost three years and we are still one of just a handful of states that has made the overdue change to allow equal rights for all adult citizens in the form of marriage equality.

Of course, the Varnum v Brein decsion wasn't with out controversy or consequences, including the ousting of three judges associated with that decision in the 2010 election.

One of the other judges who was part of the unanimous panel that voted in favor of gay marriage is up for reappointment this election and his chances look good, partially because more Iowas than ever (48%) support gay marriage and partially because the anti-civil rights groups that target the previous judges have not been as active this election season.

I believe that in time gay marriage will be legal everywhere in the United States...but I'll always be a little proud of Iowa for being one of the earliest states to come on board.

Have your feelings on gay marriage changed since it became legal three years ago? Why do you think more people than ever are supporting it?

©istockphoto.com/Christine Glade

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rachel0610
by Rachel on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

My veiwson this subject have never changed and probably will never.

randomosityblog
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I love that Iowa is cutting edge when it comes to gay marriage. I wish the love would spread one state down to Missouri so I could get married!

June10mom
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I've always been ok with it, so my view hasn't change. It's crazy to me that in this day, that this country isn't supporitive of equal rights. Good job Iowa.

Dannille33
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM
I have a certain view. I am also not one to tell anyone what the can do or not do. It's their happiness.
midgeend
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM

That's great Iowa!!!  I think that we as a nation are just well on our way to granting civil rights to all our citizens!

arpazia
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Way to go Iowa!!!!! I think that is so awesome:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ferrari
by Felicia on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I just can't see how its any of my business to tell anyone they can't have the same rights as anyone else.
That's awesome Iowa!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I believe in this right and I believe more people support it because they are learning the truth. Not taking the beliefs of someone elses over science.

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

My stance on marriage has always been the same. 2 consenting adults that are in love, should be allowed to get married if they so choose.

I don't like the term gay marriage, marriage is marriage, period. Good for Iowa for not being backwards. :)

mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Kind of helps make up for Steve King, huh?  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)