Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the President's foreign policy?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night 60 Minutes aired interviews with both President Obama and presidential challenger Mitt Romney.

One of many things they spoke about was foreign policy.

When the President was asked about criticism by Romney of his foreign policies, he responded by listing the things he has done while in office, to include ending the war in Iraq, going after Al Qaeda and successfully going after Bin Laden.  He stated that he has executed on his foreign policy. He then said that "if Governor Romney is suggesting that we should start another war, he should say so".

I thought that statement was very powerful. 

How well do you think the President has handled foreign policy thus far?

Do you believe, if elected, Romney is looking to go to war?

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting kailu1835:

I feel it's pretty weak.  All he's done is apologize to our enemies and alienate our allies.  Yes, there have been a few good things he's done, but they are heavily overshadowed by all the bad.

I am so tired of hearing about all this so-called apoligizing he did. The fact is, the apology tour never happened!  He took a more diplomatic tone in speaking with the rest of the world after he was elected, as a way of repairing the foreign relations damage done by Dubya.  Personally, I consider tact and diplomacy good qualities in a president.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2011/02/obamas_apology_tour.html

Quote from above article:

The Pinocchio Test

The claim that Obama repeatedly has apologized for the United States is not borne out by the facts, especially if his full quotes are viewed in context.

Obama often was trying to draw a rhetorical distinction between his policies and that of President Bush, a common practice when the presidency changes parties. The shift in policies, in fact, might have been more dramatic from Clinton to Bush than from Bush to Obama, given how Obama has largely maintained Bush's approach to fighting terrorism.

In other cases, Obama's quotes have been selectively trimmed for political purposes. Or they were not much different than sentiments expressed by Bush or his secretary of state. Republicans may certainly disagree with Obama's handling of foreign policy or particular policies he has pursued, but they should not invent a storyline that does not appear to exist.

Note to GOP speechwriters and campaign ad makers: The apology tour never happened.

Four Pinocchios

mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I agree!  And I think his tone is much better than the cowboy "my way or the highway" tone of George W. Bush.

Quoting .OnTheRoadAgain:

Personally, I think he has done a good job.

I prefer diplomacy over war to resolve conflict. I think he has done just that.

happy2bmom25
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM
4 moms liked this

i do not think that obama's foreign tactics are good.  Bin Laden was killed in spite of obama, not because of obama. obama's diplomacy is putting down the united states and what we stand for. that is not a good commander in chief.

annelauer
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Quoting happy2bmom25:

i do not think that obama's foreign tactics are good.  Bin Laden was killed in spite of obama, not because of obama. obama's diplomacy is putting down the united states and what we stand for. that is not a good commander in chief.

What exactly do "we stand for"?

annelauer
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I absolutely believe that, if elected, Romney will go to war.  I do not love everything President Obama has done regarding foreign policy, but considering the obstacles with which he was faced, he has done very well.  I was embarrassed to admit that I was a US Citizen while overseas during W's years.  We are now respected and SAFE around the world.  To those of you who don't think foreign policy matters or that diplomacy is important:  Wake up!!!

mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Really?  How so?

Quoting happy2bmom25:

Bin Laden was killed in spite of obama, not because of obama.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Agreed!

Quoting annelauer:

I absolutely believe that, if elected, Romney will go to war.  I do not love everything President Obama has done regarding foreign policy, but considering the obstacles with which he was faced, he has done very well.  I was embarrassed to admit that I was a US Citizen while overseas during W's years.  We are now respected and SAFE around the world.  To those of you who don't think foreign policy matters or that diplomacy is important:  Wake up!!!

annelauer
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Really?  How so?

Quoting happy2bmom25:

Doesn't it seem like a lot of people have these silly, little one-liners against our president, but rarely have anything substantial to back them up?  What is up with this "because I said so" mentality?

mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting annelauer:

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Really?  How so?

Quoting happy2bmom25:

Doesn't it seem like a lot of people have these silly, little one-liners against our president, but rarely have anything substantial to back them up?  What is up with this "because I said so" mentality?

I think they hear it repeated over and over again on Fox news or something and just assume or start to believe it's true.  Can you imagine any republicans saying that the president didn't have anything to do with a military operation that he ordered and approved and resulted in what can only be considered a success...if that president had been a republican?  Gimme a break.

kailu1835
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not going to listen to someone's interpretation of the facts.  I heard the speeches myself, and they were definitely apologies.

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Quoting kailu1835:

I feel it's pretty weak.  All he's done is apologize to our enemies and alienate our allies.  Yes, there have been a few good things he's done, but they are heavily overshadowed by all the bad.

I am so tired of hearing about all this so-called apoligizing he did. The fact is, the apology tour never happened!  He took a more diplomatic tone in speaking with the rest of the world after he was elected, as a way of repairing the foreign relations damage done by Dubya.  Personally, I consider tact and diplomacy good qualities in a president.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2011/02/obamas_apology_tour.html

Quote from above article:

The Pinocchio Test

The claim that Obama repeatedly has apologized for the United States is not borne out by the facts, especially if his full quotes are viewed in context.

Obama often was trying to draw a rhetorical distinction between his policies and that of President Bush, a common practice when the presidency changes parties. The shift in policies, in fact, might have been more dramatic from Clinton to Bush than from Bush to Obama, given how Obama has largely maintained Bush's approach to fighting terrorism.

In other cases, Obama's quotes have been selectively trimmed for political purposes. Or they were not much different than sentiments expressed by Bush or his secretary of state. Republicans may certainly disagree with Obama's handling of foreign policy or particular policies he has pursued, but they should not invent a storyline that does not appear to exist.

Note to GOP speechwriters and campaign ad makers: The apology tour never happened.

Four Pinocchios

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)