Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shaping The Future For Iowa Schools

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 4 Replies

The Iowa School Instructional Time Task Force, a group of educators and education exports from around the state, met again on Monday to tackle some thorny issues in statewide education (a final draft of their findings and suggestions is forthcoming) like if the school day should be extended for some students, all students or no students. They'll also be issuing recommendations for whether or not the state should have standardized calendars , including a universal start date.

The majority of members voted against an universal start date at the last meeting but that could change in the final report.

I don't have school age children yet but I do supervise a staff that has a large number of parents of school age children on it and I have to say that I like that not every district starts on the same day. It makes it easier to say "yes" when people want to take the morning of the first day of school off so they can see their kids off. If everyone started on the same day, I'd have to say "no" or face a deserted office.

In terms of the school day, I know that the United States is on the low end in terms of the number of hours kids stay in school, but I think I'd rather have an extended school year than an extended school day. I want my kids to have some time just to play and be kids once school starts and not feel like the 8-5 grind starts at 5 years old.

What do you think? Should the school day or school year be longer? Do you wish all schools started on the same day?

©istockphoto.com/Dean Mitchell

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Melissa_anne
by Representative on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM

no to both.  Kids already get restless during the day, i know parents wouldn't mind a longer school day but kids will start hating school and not wanting to be there, there will be more sick days for kids and they will have more of an attitude towards teachers, If my daughter went longer in school i wouldn't see her as much as i do now and I dont want that. 

easinpc
by Emily on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I agree with a lot of the points you made here.  I think the length of the day is great (especially for little kids) and fear that if it was much longer they would have a lot of issues with the kids staying focused.

Quoting Melissa_anne:

no to both.  Kids already get restless during the day, i know parents wouldn't mind a longer school day but kids will start hating school and not wanting to be there, there will be more sick days for kids and they will have more of an attitude towards teachers, If my daughter went longer in school i wouldn't see her as much as i do now and I dont want that. 

Rachel0610
by Rachel on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

No the day or the year shouldn't be longer they have my child long enough!

I do wish school started on the same day though

Dannille33
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I think kids should go all year round like in HI of course with breaks in here. I feel kids would retain a lot more and perhaps get more out of school. I know my 7 yr old is always bored during the summer wanting school.

My middle school son hates school and my daughter graduates this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)