Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

What on Earth Was This Teacher Thinking?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 3 Replies

Twenty-six year old Derek Bates should probably started calling himself a "former teacher" after resigning from Montezuma High School. Bates, who had taught English has been charged with supplying a 17 year old male student with alcohol.

Terrible, right? But it gets worse.

Not only did Bates allegedly give the student whiskey, he drank it with him until both became, in the words of the court documents "very intoxicated".

Shocking, right? But it gets still worse.

Not only did the teacher give the student whiskey and drink with him, all of this happened on school grounds.

What the hell was he thinking? The incident happened on a Sunday, which raises even more questions. Why was he meeting with a student on school grounds on a weekend, with alcohol in hand?

If I was the parent of the 17 year old, I would have an awful lot of questions for the school, my child and the teacher. I would also want to do everything in my power to make sure this guy never teaches again.

This story really is a good reminder of how important it is to have teachers you can trust in the classroom. Have you ever had a concern about your child's teacher? What would you do if you didn't feel like you could trust them?

Šistockphoto.com/Zlatko Kostic

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
easinpc
by Emily on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Thankfully I have never had any concern about the teachers my son has had.  So far 2 out of the 4 teachers he's had were my teachers when I was in elementary school!

.OnTheRoadAgain
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I just do not understand the way people think. Forget that this is an authority figure or that it happened at school. Lets go back to the very basics of why this is wrong. It is ILLEGAL for this CHILD to be drinking. He is underage. To supply him with alcohol is also against the law.

The lack of respect for the law from both the teacher and student  is what is truly troubling for me. 

Dannille33
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I have no idea what they were thinking. It doesn't surprise me though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)