Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Is Your Household Politically Divided?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

Is Your Household Politically Divided? (VIDEO)

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier

Moms Matter 2012Imagine driving past a house each day and seeing gigantic signs for Mitt Romney AND Barack Obama plastered across the fence.

That's the reality for one suburban Nashville family: One spouse is a diehard Democrat, the other is a staunch Republican. We spent an afternoon with them recently -- you've got to see the hilarious and thought-provoking results for yourself. Check out our Moms Matter video after the jump -- then tell us in the comments if YOU live in a house divided! Could you?

Can you believe it?

As you can imagine, the Gilds are the talk of their neighborhood when election time rolls around -- and their excitement about politics seems to have rubbed off on their neighbors. There are far more campaign signs on the Gilds' street than you'd see in the average neighborhood.

Whether or not you and your spouse agree politically, I think there's a lesson to be learned here for any parent. Politics and national issues are a regular topic of discussion in the Gild house, and it has had a noticeable impact on the Gilds' children. All three boys have a much clearer understanding of the world around them than most kids their age. This is a good reminder to me to make age appropriate current events a regular topic at the dinner table each night. Our kids are always listening -- at least until they become teenagers!

So ... what do you think of the Gilds?

Can you believe they've managed to make their marriage work?

Do you and your spouse differ politically?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.OnTheRoadAgain
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Oh wow. Good for them for maintaining a loving relationship and family despite have such different views.

Our family  is not a household divided.

Mom2Just1
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I am Indep Liberal. My husband is Democrat with no leanings toward liberal or Conser.  We disagree on some points and we discuss them maturely.  We love though that we are different in some areas and it makes for a good discussion.  (:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

mariesmama
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

no we both agree romneys a jerk

annaica
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM
yes, in a way... he refuses to vote in presidential elections because he believes the electoral college makes the vote not the people. So he refuses to talk about it at all... I will still vote and I chat about this and that but can't really to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Nope, we're both super moderate.

arpazia
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Lol!!

Quoting mariesmama:

no we both agree romneys a jerk

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Hehe they handle it well
Good for them:)
Nope we aren't a house divided!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

The Republican -- in her own words -- "goes for the hollow victory".  Yeah that sounds about right.  HAHAHAHA, just kidding.  I kind of wish they wouldn't try to influence the kids.  It's great that they discuss politics and national issues with them, but they should let them make their own decisions about what they believe.  (I do get that that part was light-hearted and said in a semi-joking manner, I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion.)

We are thankfully not a house divided.  I probably get a little more fired up about stuff than my husband does, but we do see eye to eye on most issues.  More power to any couple with different political views that can make it work!  But I have seen things go up in flames because of this, and I personally wouldn't want to try it.

LancesMom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Not our immediate household, but our families sure are....

Rachel0610
by Rachel on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

We both agree that neither of the runners deserve to be president lol however I don't know his political stance

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)