Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A New Way To Save At The Gas Pump

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 6 Replies

My husband and I are pretty budget driven people, so we do a monthly spending report to track where our money goes, including how much we are spending on gas.

While we spend less than we did last year due to a change in my husband's commute, it is still an expense that is creeping up every month, so I was intrigued to hear that Hy-Vee and Casey's are teaming up to over a gas savings program. 

Well, I should correct myself. I was intrigued until I realized that using this program was probably more work than I'm willing to do (I'm too lazy to use coupons after all).

The program basically rewards you for buying certain products at Hy-Vee by putting discounts of 25 cents and up on those products and applying it to a gas card. You could earn as much as two dollars off each gallon of gas, though I suspect you'd have to buy a lot of groceries to make that happen. The grocery items change weekly and are featured in the Hy-Vee weekly circular.

I probably won't participate because I try to do most of my grocery shopping at Costco or Trader Joes and because, frankly, I'd probably forget to check the circular and to remember to bring my gas savings card. I bet those amazing coupon shoppers out there will like the idea though.

Do you think you'll take advantage of this offer?

Šistockphoto.com

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Rachel0610
by Rachel on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I rpobably will to a point since I do a lot of shopping at HyVee I don't use Caseys much though I prefer Kum & Go

meam4444
by Representative on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I probably wouldn't do it, but hey, it is a great program for those who would use it!

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I don't shop at Hy-Vee and usually I purchase my gas at the coop gas station in town.  We have 2 choices for gas in town, either Caseys or the coop and the coop is usually a penny cheaper and it supports our community so I usually get it there.

Ferrari
by Felicia on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Probably not. I'm horrible about using coupons. I've clipped them but then usually just end up throwing them out. I've taken advantage of Hy-Vee's other programs. They have one that you get so much off per gallon if you bring in a receipt. The amount off depends upon the amount you spent at their store. And of course that is going to their gas station. The store by me also has a deal that if you pay in cash then you get 5 cents off per gallon
The really thing is they combine the discounts. So for example I have earned 3 cents off from a receipt and was paying in cash so got the additional 5 cents off giving me a total discount of 8 cents off per gallon. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Representative on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Walmart has a gas station that works with them here. They have one in each town here, and you get ten cents off per gallon if you use a walmart gift card or walmart credit card.
It saves a lot, over time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRoberts
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I have a card and I have found it really easy to use to rack up the savings however have not tried to get gas with it yet...we will see! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)