Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Food Bank Donations - kinda long

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

This year for Thanksgiving my son's school sent home a letter saying that the food bank that serves our area was asking for help with creating their Thanksgiving food baskets.  They were asking each of the different grades in the elementary to bring different items that were included in the basket.  My sons grade was asked to bring boxed instant mashed potatoes.  So last weekend when we were grocery shopping we picked up a couple boxes and he took them into school.  Well yesterday when we were grocery shopping when we were in that isle my son said that he was kinda sad because only a few kids had been able to bring in boxes so far (it goes thru this Friday) and wanted to know if I would let him take in a couple more boxes so that way he could help make sure that kids could have a good meal for Thanksgiving.  It made me smile to hear him ask and I told him that yes he could, so he grabbed a couple more boxes and took them into school this morning. 

Donating to this food bank has always been important to him.  Earlier this year when they were having a can drive thru his church (he goes with his dad) he asked me if I would take him to Aldi's so he could buy can goods with his money he had saved up.  My son took the $40 he had saved and was going to use to buy a new toy truck he wanted and instead used it to buy a bunch of canned goods to donate.  While we were standing in line he was telling the lady behind us about why we had so many cans and she smiled and told him that was very kind of him.  Well after he paid and we were out loading the cans (in flats) into my car she came out and handed us another 4 flats of canned goods (around 40 cans of veggies) and asked us to donate those as well.  She told us her story about how right after her divorce a few years ago she had to rely on a food bank to feed her and her 3 children and now that she is able to she likes to pay it forward and help others.  My son has told me several times it was hearing her story and seeing how it can help others (especially kids) that makes him want to really help our local food bank because it may be his friends that are needing the food from there. 

I guess I don't really have a point to this post besides me just wanting to share this moment with others.  Its small things that my son does like this that make me feel like I must be doing something right in parenting him! 

Feel free to share moments you've had with your children that warm your heart and make you feel like you're doing something right with them!

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM

You should feel very proud of him. You are raising him to be a generous and compassionate person. This post actually brought tears to my eyes. Good for him. He is making a difference in so many peoples lives at such a young age.

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Thank you!

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

You should feel very proud of him. You are raising him to be a generous and compassionate person. This post actually brought tears to my eyes. Good for him. He is making a difference in so many peoples lives at such a young age.

aCafemomma
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:51 AM

what a great kid!!!

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Thanks!

Quoting aCafemomma:

what a great kid!!!

meam4444
by Representative on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

How wonderful! 

We occasionally have drives at my church, and it is so good to see my little children understanding and wanting to help out. 

Rachel0610
by Rachel on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

That is amazing!! My son loves giving as well always makes me proud.

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

yes it is!

Quoting meam4444:

How wonderful! 

We occasionally have drives at my church, and it is so good to see my little children understanding and wanting to help out. 

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Thats great!

Quoting Rachel0610:

That is amazing!! My son loves giving as well always makes me proud.

meam4444
by Representative on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msmom29
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Not gonna lie,  that brought tears to my eyes, what a thoughtful and loving son you have, great job mama, and im sure there are several families that will be greatful as well!! Happy holidays to you and your families.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN