Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Iowa is the Best in the Country This Election Season

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 2 Replies

In the aftermath of the election, there is always the crunching of numbers and the looking for trends and noteworthy facts. Early numbers indicate that Iowa might be the only state in the United States that has a really positive distinction: voter turnout that actually increased from the 2008 elections.

Voter turnout was down nationally since 2008, with only 57.5% of registered voters casting a ballot on Tuesday. In Iowa, 71.8% of registered voters exercised their right, which was the highest percentage of turnout in over 20 years. It also marked the highest total number of voters ever, with an increase from 2008 of close to 12,000 voters.

I have to say that it makes me proud to live in a state where people take voting seriously and that gets to be a place that is significantly important to the Presidential campaigns, even if that does mean that we have to suffer through more than our fair share of political ads during the process.

Why do you think Iowans are so much more politically engaged than the rest of the country? Do you know anyone who didn't vote this year?

Šistockphoto.com

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Ferrari
by Felicia on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM
I can't say why. I am tremendously proud of Iowa!

At the same time, I can't understand why more didn't turn out in other states.
We've started talking to our children about the importance of voting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.OnTheRoadAgain
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I think it is fantastic. We care about our state. We want our voices to be heard. I am also a bit flabbergasted that other states didnt have increased turnout as well. This election was so very important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)