Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Town Rallies Around Family After Woman Dies in Childbirth

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 3 Replies

When I saw this story about a small Iowa town rallying to support a father and his three young children after their mother died in childbirth last month, I felt such a pang of sadness for the family and was reminded again how lucky most of us really are. 

When I had my daughter this spring, I had a fairly normal and uneventful delivery. The next morning, however, I had a hemorrhage. It happened quickly but I had a great team of doctors and nurses and was out of danger within an hour or so, though facing the prospect of needing a D&C and a blood transfusion. It was terrifying for me and my husband and we both acknowledged that we had a moment of "this is how women die in childbirth" as it was happening that we'd never worried about before.

Obviously, John Weaver's wife wasn't as lucky as I was and all of the other women in the US who regularly have babies without needing to fear for their safety. And my heart breaks for his family and I am glad he has the support of Milo, Iowa as he faces the prospect of raising three kids by himself.

I chose to post about this story both because it spoke to my experience but also to raise awareness of the issues of maternal health around the world. Women everywhere still die due to preventable issues associated with childbirth. Do you think we have enough awareness of this global problem? Did you ever fear for your life as you were having your children?

©istockphoto.com/Christian Vuong

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Rachel0610
by Rachel on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I always fear for my life it seems to be a natural thing for me child birth of course hightens that for me as you never know what can happen at that time.

I remember seeing this and my heart broke for this family

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I do not think that there is enough awareness regarding this issue.  I feel so bad for this family but am glad to see that their friends and neighbors are stepping up to help them during this very very hard time.

meam4444
by Representative on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Very sad.  And, yes I fear for my life esp. after I had my second, and I had delayed PP hemoragging some hours after the birth (it was after everyone left the room and "bonding time" with baby would usually happen)...it was scary.  I remember the on the cloud feeling..  Thanks goodness for my sister though who noticed what was happening and was able to call the nurses in my room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)