Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Radon Gas

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 7 Replies

This is a school in the district my son goes to.  I just thought I'd share it to help spread the word about radon.  Do you check your home or does your school test for it?  If you click on the link there is a 8 minute video about it as well with a lot of great information about radon and radon testing.

SILENT KILLER: Radon In Iowa Schools And Homes

Posted on: 2:00 am, November 13, 2012, by , updated on: 05:34am, November 13, 2012

You send your children to school, assuming they will be reasonably safe. So, why is a middle school principal on a mission to warn all parents about a potential health hazard to Iowa students?

Steph Langstraat, Principal at Monroe Middle School in Prairie City is fighting back against radon, a potentially deadly chemical seeping up through the foundation of her school into classrooms and halls.

Monroe Middle School is not alone; Iowa has the highest uranium concentration in the nation. As uranium breaks-down, it releases radon gas that has potential to cause lung cancer. The gas rises up through an estimated 3/4 of the homes and building foundations in Iowa.

Channel 13's Dan Winters has more on the story.

http://whotv.com/2012/11/13/silent-killer-radon-in-iowa-schools-and-homes/

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mama406
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

That is terrifying to think that it isn't mandatory to test all Iowa schools.  That is something that is going to have to change.

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I agree!

Quoting Mama406:

That is terrifying to think that it isn't mandatory to test all Iowa schools.  That is something that is going to have to change.

Rachel0610
by Rachel on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I am not sure if our school checks for it or not I should really look into that though because it's scary.

Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The home we own was tested by a previous owner and we have a radon pump that helps keep it from collecting in our basement.  Frankly, I know it turns some people off to have it, but I think that it was a plus for me when we bought our home because I knew that the issue had already been addressed.  

I always have always wondered why all of our neighbors haven't tested their homes knowing that our home tested high.

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I agree, but are you sure that the neighbors are aware that your house tested high?

Quoting Roo1234:

The home we own was tested by a previous owner and we have a radon pump that helps keep it from collecting in our basement.  Frankly, I know it turns some people off to have it, but I think that it was a plus for me when we bought our home because I knew that the issue had already been addressed.  

I always have always wondered why all of our neighbors haven't tested their homes knowing that our home tested high.

Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Good question.  It used to be a very tight knit group who lived there prior to our moving in (there has been lots of turnover in the past 10 years), so I would have thought the word would have been passed around.  Also, you can see the whole ventilation system for it on the side of the house which faces the road.  We are the corner house of a cul-de-sac so everyone passes the house all the time.

I shouldn't assume....but it seems odd.

Quoting easinpc:

I agree, but are you sure that the neighbors are aware that your house tested high?

Quoting Roo1234:

easinpc
by Emily on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I know if I owned a house and found out that my neighbor had higher levels that I'd definately be checking into having my house tested as well. Thats great that the previous owners took care of it. 

Quoting Roo1234:

Good question.  It used to be a very tight knit group who lived there prior to our moving in (there has been lots of turnover in the past 10 years), so I would have thought the word would have been passed around.  Also, you can see the whole ventilation system for it on the side of the house which faces the road.  We are the corner house of a cul-de-sac so everyone passes the house all the time.

I shouldn't assume....but it seems odd.

Quoting easinpc:

Quoting Roo1234:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN