Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

homeschooling

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 6 Replies
My dh and I have been discussing me homeschooling our children. Before I commit I would like to know what resources are available for this and how I would get started such as materials, etc. Do I need any thing special to do it? I would also like my children to go to a part time program with other children so they can get the socialization, so any help on this would be great as well. I looked at our local AEA's website but they didnt have anything useful that I could find, basically a number to call. Any help from other homeschooling mommies would be great. Thanks!
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
easinpc
by Emily on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I don't homeschool but here's a bump for you!  Good luck!

meam4444
by Representative on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
downsouthjunkin
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:45 AM

There are quite a few places online that you can print worksheets off from. I've heard quite a few of the hs moms talk about sites like superteacherworksheets.com. Only some of this is free now. Let me see, tlsbooks.com.  Some places just have info, stories, lit. units, etc. There is amblesideonline.com, oldfashionededucation.com,.....there is a free math curriculum called MEP program. Khan academy online is really cool. Spelling City has some parts that are free. Time4Learning online is pretty cool. It's only $20/month for the first child and $15 for the second. It covers Lang. Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies (the science and SS doesn't really have a lot until like 3rd grade, I think). You get access to three different grades all at once. So, like if you signed up for 1st, you would also get K. and 2nd. T4L goes up to 8th grade. You would probably also want to throw in workbooks for each subject and hit the library quite a bit to supplement (if you were to go with T4L). It just depends on if you have a good printer and you can print off worksheets or go the workbook route. We are eclectic secular homeschoolers. I piece my DD's curriculum together, picking and choosing what I want to use for each subject. DD just happens to like workbooks (some kids hate them and don't learn well that way). So, we use quite a few different ones, coupled with curriculum, cd-roms, DVD's, etc. It's up to you.  You can get all different kinds of workbooks at Rainbow Resource Center. Evan-Moor (workbooks) are really through. RRC is where I get the bulk of my materials. We have been homeschooling for three years.

You will definitely need to check out Iowa's homeschooling laws. Iowa is a medium-regulated state. I included the link for Iowa's hs laws. Just click on the A-Z Index and go to H.

There are some really good books about homeschooling to read. Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year is an excellent resource. She homeschooled her three sons for over ten years. Her book gives guidelines for each grade, book titles, tips, etc. The Well-Trained Mind gives an extensive list of book titles, etc. It is really helpful if you want to go the classical education route. Homeschooling For Dummies (Jennifer Caufeld--the yellow books) has a lot of good information.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about hs.

http://educateiowa.gov/

MommyofSoso
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Thanks. I'd be starting out with kindergarten. My daughter is currently 2 and my son 15 weeks so I have plenty of time but wanted to see what all was out there. I will definitely be checking out all of these resources.
Redwall
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM

There are so many options for kids that homeschool!  My community has several homeschool groups, that includes field trips, etc.  Some of the moms hold special classes.  Your kids can join the Y, or any number of other things that have events for kids.

I had NO problem finding things for my kids to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)