Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschooling preschool

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM
  • 23 Replies
Anyone do this? I want to start working Madalynn on preschool. She turns 3 in April.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARPdrummer
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM

not at the current time, but I do plan to :) I'm hoping after this baby is born, either Feb or March, that the house will be more settled into and my daughter will hopefully be more cooperative :p She's 27 months, so will be about 2 1/2 when I'd be doing it. She probably won't be ready for the coloring type things (she still eats everything...including crayons), but I'm hoping by the time she's 3 she'll maybe be able to do those sorts of things :)

downsouthjunkin
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Homeschooling for preschool will be fun for you and your DD. My DD did go to one year of PreK. She was really bored because she already knew her letters, numbers, etc.LOL There are so many materials out there and it is so easy to turn every day things into a lesson. Have you ever been over to Rainbow Resource Center? My DD loved those BrainQuest workbooks at that age.

Ferrari
by Felicia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM
No I haven't. Where's that at?

Quoting downsouthjunkin:

Homeschooling for preschool will be fun for you and your DD. My DD did go to one year of PreK. She was really bored because she already knew her letters, numbers, etc.LOL There are so many materials out there and it is so easy to turn every day things into a lesson. Have you ever been over to Rainbow Resource Center? My DD loved those BrainQuest workbooks at that age.

MommeisQueen
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM
I do. I get most of my supplies from dollar tree and the learning post.
Ferrari
by Felicia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM
I'm a little at a loss on how to get started or what to start with.

Quoting ARPdrummer:

not at the current time, but I do plan to :) I'm hoping after this baby is born, either Feb or March, that the house will be more settled into and my daughter will hopefully be more cooperative :p She's 27 months, so will be about 2 1/2 when I'd be doing it. She probably won't be ready for the coloring type things (she still eats everything...including crayons), but I'm hoping by the time she's 3 she'll maybe be able to do those sorts of things :)

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I'm not in Iowa or this group.  I just happened to see this on the little side bar.  I hope you don't mind me replying.

I have a homeschooled 5 1/2 year old as well as my daughter who turns 3 in April.  Preschool is so easy to homeschool for!  I used to teach preschool and most of the day is just playing.  Art projects, counting things in the world, reading books to them, cooking together, talking about letters, etc.  My daughter wants to do everything my son does so I just simplify it for her.  He writes his journal I print out a sheet with her name for her to trace (she can write her name see)

it's not perfect but that she knows how to write the letters is huge!  He reads to me, she pretends to read.  He does science experiments and she does too.  He learns history and she does too.  We went to the Egyptian museum because we were learning about ancient Egypt and she ran over to a tablet going "look Mommy, heiroglyphics!"  He does math she sorts things into the right colors or shapes or we might count things together and match them to the right numbers.  She really wants to learn to read so we will start working on letter sounds soon.  Letter names can come later :)  No pressure just following her intrests.

That's really all you need to do, have fun doing things together and follow your daughter's intrest!

downsouthjunkin
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Quoting Ferrari:

No I haven't. Where's that at?

Quoting downsouthjunkin:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/index.php#num=1247&id=album-4

I included the link. They are out of Illinois. They have around 40,000 hs items, excellent customer service, and very competitive prices.

downsouthjunkin
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Quoting motheroffour186:

What is Madalynn?

I believe that is her DD's name.

Ferrari
by Felicia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM
That's perfectly all right. We're in another group together. Our daughters are both born April 2010.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I'm not in Iowa or this group.  I just happened to see this on the little side bar.  I hope you don't mind me replying.

I have a homeschooled 5 1/2 year old as well as my daughter who turns 3 in April.  Preschool is so easy to homeschool for!  I used to teach preschool and most of the day is just playing.  Art projects, counting things in the world, reading books to them, cooking together, talking about letters, etc.  My daughter wants to do everything my son does so I just simplify it for her.  He writes his journal I print out a sheet with her name for her to trace (she can write her name see)

it's not perfect but that she knows how to write the letters is huge!  He reads to me, she pretends to read.  He does science experiments and she does too.  He learns history and she does too.  We went to the Egyptian museum because we were learning about ancient Egypt and she ran over to a tablet going "look Mommy, heiroglyphics!"  He does math she sorts things into the right colors or shapes or we might count things together and match them to the right numbers.  She really wants to learn to read so we will start working on letter sounds soon.  Letter names can come later :)  No pressure just following her intrests.

That's really all you need to do, have fun doing things together and follow your daughter's intrest!

Ferrari
by Felicia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Yes. Madalynn is my daughter. Guess I forgot a word.

Quoting downsouthjunkin:

Quoting motheroffour186:

What is Madalynn?

I believe that is her DD's name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)