Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Agent Orange

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 6 Replies

Were any of your dads in Vietnam and exposed to Agent Orange?

Do you have any health problems that you can't explain why you have/had them?

I was at a schooling for work last week and talked to a girl who's dad died in february due to Agent Orange, she led me to this website that has illnesses that they believe are linked to their dads being exposed to AO. 
My dad was diagnosed with Leukemia about 7 years ago, he is still working full time and living his life like he doesn't have the illness but his immune system has weakened so much.  Before when he would get sick he would go to work and be fine, now when he gets sick he is in bed for a couple days not wanting to move.  He is in pain all the time and exhausted by the end of the day no matter if he worked hard or had a relaxing day. 

My problems started when I was 2.  I had to have the lymph nodes removed from the ride side of my neck because I got Tuberculosis in them.  When I have gone to the Dr. and had to write down surgeries and mention that one they always get curious about it, asking me if I had been out of the country.  I hadn't.  I lived in Omaha at the time and no one else in my family had it.
I also have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), my Dr tells me it's hereditary.  There is no one else in my family that has it.  Both my sisters have 3 kids each and had no problem getting pregnant.  I got pregnant with my daughter after my second miscarriage and I was told i had a slim to none chance of getting pregnant again, which was fine with me.  I honestly didn't want any more kids. 
There are a ton more problems with me that are on this list of stuff that other kids with dads that were exposed to AO that might or might not be linked to it.
I honestly want to go to the dr and have him do a full work up on me to make sure i dont have cancer or something i am not seeing.  But then that might be my anxiety getting me worked up lol

Here is the website and the page with the illnesses.  The only illness the government is linking to AO exposure is Spina Bifida, that is the only one they are paying benefits for.  

http://agentorangelegacy.com/reported-illnesses/

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
meam4444
by Representative on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Wow, Melissa. I'm so sorry to hear about the health issues between your dad and yourself. My dad was in the service, but I don't think he was over in Vietnam. I know I would be curious on what else is going on with my body. I could believe that there is some sort of relation.

I don't know much about Tb and how it can be passed or an individual just carry it around in their immune system without actually having the active disease. I hope you can get more answers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_anne
by Representative on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Thanks!  The grandchildren of the vets are being affected too. my nephew was diagnosed at the age of 2 with this really rare cancer, they got rid of it but he has to be checked every year to make sure it doesn't come back.  he is now 13.
I haven't really read too much about Turberculosis since it doesn't affect me now, other than getting chest xrays every year, which is weird because I didn't get it in my lungs.  but i am pretty sure it's contagious through the lungs.. I would have to read up on it more before i start trying to say facts about it. 
I know anxiety is one of the illnesses too, I feel for Bobby because he has to put up with it lol.  especially when we fly, it's HORRIBLE when we fly.   We were once driving into St Louis and an anxiety attack hit me right as we got into the city, dont know why just started panicking.  the guy is a saint when it comes to the anxiety lol
But again thanks, I think we are finally we believe getting some answers to why my sister has serious mental illnesses and i have stuff that is supposed to be hereditery and i am the only person in my family who has it...

Quoting meam4444:

Wow, Melissa. I'm so sorry to hear about the health issues between your dad and yourself. My dad was in the service, but I don't think he was over in Vietnam. I know I would be curious on what else is going on with my body. I could believe that there is some sort of relation.

I don't know much about Tb and how it can be passed or an individual just carry it around in their immune system without actually having the active disease. I hope you can get more answers.

meam4444
by Representative on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM
You guys have been through a lot. I hope the government will be more forth coming in offering a link and assistance. I feel bad for all the vets and their families left with the after effects.

I hope your nephew stays cancer free. Your family must have some tough skin through all that you have been through. I hope Devon is /stays healthy.

I hope you continue to be led to answers.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TTsmommy0507
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

My dad served 2 tours over there and was exposed to AO.  He has diabetes (contributed by AO) - every guy in his unit that made it back has diabetes. I know several cancers recently were added in the past couple of years (one being multiple myeloma). I discovered that while I was doing research on the disease because my mom was diagnosis with it almost 9 years ago, and lost her battle almost a year ago).

If  you dad hasn't, he should apply for veterans' disability for it. (my dad does get a small amount each month for compensation for his disease). They do a rating system, but my dad is still able to work, although he is talking of retiring.

Melissa_anne
by Representative on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

my dad registered a couple years ago.   Did you know that vets can get $1,850 off their house tax every year, i can find the page for you if he hasn't already do it.  I just showed my dad last night and sent him the link for it. 
On the agent orange legacy website someone asked about getting exposed to it through clothes and somene else was asking if they could come into contact with it through sex, I did not see if there was an answer to it or not.  Was your mom with your dad when he went over and came back?

here is the tax exemption application

http://www.iowa.gov/tax/forms/54146.pdf

Quoting TTsmommy0507:

My dad served 2 tours over there and was exposed to AO.  He has diabetes (contributed by AO) - every guy in his unit that made it back has diabetes. I know several cancers recently were added in the past couple of years (one being multiple myeloma). I discovered that while I was doing research on the disease because my mom was diagnosis with it almost 9 years ago, and lost her battle almost a year ago).

If  you dad hasn't, he should apply for veterans' disability for it. (my dad does get a small amount each month for compensation for his disease). They do a rating system, but my dad is still able to work, although he is talking of retiring.

TTsmommy0507
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

They dated while he was over there, and got married after he came back (his second tour was shortened because his father became terminal and they got him back, then he finished his last couple of months of his time in CA after his dad passed).  Wow! Now it makes me wonder....we always thought it was because of her rheumatoid arthritis IV medicine that she got the cancer (over a year of being so sick, we finally got the diagnosis.....and guess what shortly after that time, they started coming out with the warning that type of medicine could cause blood cancers). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)