Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Questions to ask when looking at a house

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am going to look at another house this weekend to purchase and am needing help on my list of questions to ask.  I have looked at several houses before but am drawing major blanks when I'm making my list.  This house is out in the country so I have on my list to ask about the lp and septic and road maintenance (how often/how good/who/etc), but could use some other suggestions!

The house is in the same area I currently live in so I already know the schools, neighborhood, town, etc. 

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ferrari
by Felicia on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM
How old is the water heater and furnance? When was the roof done?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

You want to make sure you have information on the foundation, this is vitally important. Ask if the foundation has ever had problems? If so, was it repaired? Is there a warranty on the repair? Same questions for the roof. What are the average monthly utilities. Are the windows energy effecient? Since it is rural, what emergency reponse agency do you fall under? City, county, state? Typical response time for emergencies. Are the emergency responders full time agencies or are they volunteer agencies (ie fire dept)? Estimated  property, city, county and school taxes. Property value comps.

That is all I can think of at this moment..lol

Roo1234
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

What are the normal heating/cooling/electric bills

MommyofSoso
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Just from our current experience with our house I'd ask about the electrical and plumbing. There is an outlet upstairs that we cant use because it shorts the whole house. We knew we needed to update the electrical but when we had it inspected they didnt show anything wrong with the outlet. And as far as plumbing, our drain in the basement is constantly backing up because someone jammed the trap so stuff doesnt drain right. The drain was covered so we didnt notice until it got really bad butI guarantee this is something the previous owners knew about.
celestegood
by Representative on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Representative on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I agree about the foundation...ask about well (how old, ever shocked, etc..), roofing, etc.  Good luck!!  Let us know how it goes!!

easinpc
by Emily on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The water heater is only 2 years old (old one sprung a leak and lead to it being replaced and also the kitchen floor & subfloor being redone lol), but the furnace is the original one so its about 18 years old along with the ac unit.  The roof was redone in 2007 due to it leaking around a skylight. 

Quoting Ferrari:

How old is the water heater and furnance? When was the roof done?

easinpc
by Emily on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

The emergency response would still be the same as where I live (the house is about 3-4 miles outside of town), so I know that part.  One big thing I did ask about was road maintenance and snow removal but he said that usually by the afternoon the county had gone by the road and they were able to get out. 

Thanks for your other suggestions as well!

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

You want to make sure you have information on the foundation, this is vitally important. Ask if the foundation has ever had problems? If so, was it repaired? Is there a warranty on the repair? Same questions for the roof. What are the average monthly utilities. Are the windows energy effecient? Since it is rural, what emergency reponse agency do you fall under? City, county, state? Typical response time for emergencies. Are the emergency responders full time agencies or are they volunteer agencies (ie fire dept)? Estimated  property, city, county and school taxes. Property value comps.

That is all I can think of at this moment..lol

easinpc
by Emily on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

The heat is run off of LP and he said on average he had the tank filled 2 times a year and it was between 300-400 each time to fill it.  The electric bills he said on average were around $60 in the summer (due to ac) and less during the winter.  He did say that the frig sucks energy so he would recommend replacing that and that it would probably help cut down on the electric bill some.

Quoting Roo1234:

What are the normal heating/cooling/electric bills

easinpc
by Emily on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Thats no good!  Have you had that drain snaked/jetted before?  That may help unless there is concrete in it or a break in it (which sending a camera down it would tell you that). 

Quoting MommyofSoso:

Just from our current experience with our house I'd ask about the electrical and plumbing. There is an outlet upstairs that we cant use because it shorts the whole house. We knew we needed to update the electrical but when we had it inspected they didnt show anything wrong with the outlet. And as far as plumbing, our drain in the basement is constantly backing up because someone jammed the trap so stuff doesnt drain right. The drain was covered so we didnt notice until it got really bad butI guarantee this is something the previous owners knew about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN