Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

pacifier help

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 6 Replies
My daughter will be 3 in April. She still uses a pacifier. Her dentist isn't concerned as its not affecting her teeth. However, I am as she tends to talk with it in her mouth. My oldest didn't take a paci and my second quit it on his 2nd birthday. I've tried telling she's a big girl and she says no I'm a baby lol I'm trying to limit it to only naps and bedtime. But she will cry for it. :( any tips on how to help her learn to cope without it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
meam4444
by Representative on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

It's hard.  My oldest was addicted to the pacifier.  Finally, we had an bitty baby that she really wanted, and my husband had her throw her pacifier away in exchange for the doll.  Of course, she inpulsed and threw it away.  It was a little bit of a struggle for the first few days, but she got over it pretty well past those few days.

meam4444
by Representative on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

^I forgot to add--good luck!!!! 

Ferrari
by Felicia on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Thanks.
I noticed she got very dependent on the paci when she weaned. The sucking is her way of.soothing herself. I may just need to get stronger about no paci unless she's in bed.

Quoting meam4444:

^I forgot to add--good luck!!!! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Representative on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Yea, its hard...my five year old still asked for it when she was four even though she had given it up when she was two.  lol

krn210
by Kristin on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

My daughter was also a binky addict. The bedtime/nap only routine didn't go we'll for us either. So I started throwing them out as they got  worn down. She was finally down to a couple of them. She got to the point where she was taking them out while playing, when she decided that she wanted it again she often couldn't remember where she left them last. She would expect us to find them for her. So I told her that no, I wasn't helping her look for them anymore as she didn't need them, and if they were that important to her that she would look for them herself and stop misplacing them. Well one day she couldn't find either of them. I repeated my "rule" to her. After looking for awhile she gave up. The first couple of nights she cried for them, but not too badly really. I later found them and threw them out. She was 2.  Not sure my story will help you any...but I do sympathize. I hated when we would be out and people would glare at me because she still had one. I even had a lady comment that she was too big for it. I just politely smiled and said that she's my child and it was none of her concern. :-)

easinpc
by Emily on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM

My son stopped using his on his own around 7 weeks but then started to suck on his pinkie & ring fingers and did that until he was around 4 1/2.  That was a really hard habit to break but i found towards the end he'd only do it when there was a lot of drama/problems at his dads.  So when his dad was deployed and he wasn't going over there anymore we were able to break that habit.  Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)