Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Fun ideas for this summer....

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
Yes.. I am thinking about summer already. But heck why not. Kids will be out of school before we k ow it and getting BORED.... lol

So I want to get some suggestions for some fun places to do here in Iowa. We've done the St. Louis thing with the zoo and grant's farm. But this summer I wanna do something in state.

I know about Blank Park Zoo. What else is there? Oh and I am getting my fishing license this year too so we can do lots of fishing with boyfriend.

Key thing...... I WANT OUT OF SE IOWA!!! lol. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
easinpc
by Emily on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

We do lots of fishing, camping, hiking, and other outdoor stuff.  If you like amusement parks, there is Adventureland in Altoona (by Des Moines), or there are a lot of various water parks around Iowa.  I think there is another post from when this group first started things to do around Iowa.  I'll see if I can find it and bump it for ya!

a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Oh I definitely want to get these kids outside. I know of lakes and camping places around here. But I want them to venture more outside of SE Iowa. Lol. I've been to Adventureland when I was younger. But not since.

Quoting easinpc:

We do lots of fishing, camping, hiking, and other outdoor stuff.  If you like amusement parks, there is Adventureland in Altoona (by Des Moines), or there are a lot of various water parks around Iowa.  I think there is another post from when this group first started things to do around Iowa.  I'll see if I can find it and bump it for ya!

Sweets32285
by Jen on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM
We've gone to the Niabi Zoo in the quad cities. It's not huge, but my kids loved it. I have no plans for summer right now. Just school. Hoping I can come back to Iowa for a few weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Anybody been to Lake Okoboji??? Just wondering about there???
huskermom98
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

We're big fans of Adventureland and always get season passes.  We mostly do the rides because that's what my boys love and there are days I don't want to deal with the huge crowds in the water area.  Then again my 5yo might never let us go back to the water area because last summer he fell and split open his chin when running back to a slide (totally his fault...) but he's been back to ride the rides many times.

There's also a lot to do downtown in Des Moines--The Papa John sculpture garden is neat, plus there's a lot of food places nearby so we often do picnics there (Jimmy Johns, Smokey D's BBQ, and many other local restaurants).  There's also the Science Center, State Capital, the new Riverwalk area, and more.

For fishing there's always Saylorville Lake and Big Creek State Park near DM, and Gray's Lake is also great for all kinds of different outdoor fun.

luvslilacs
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Honey Creek at Lake Rathbun...and Lake Rathbun itself. King's Pointe in Storm Lake. The Port of Dubuque. Adventureland was already mentioned but I'll mention it again because it's only a mile from my home :) Also the Science Center here in Des Moines. And last but not least...the State Fair.
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Can't do the state fair since everyone already has vacation put in for that week. :( one of these years we will get there. I've never been. So its definitely on the bucket list. Lol (I'm only 25. But hey. Its on the to do list)

Quoting luvslilacs:

Honey Creek at Lake Rathbun...and Lake Rathbun itself. King's Pointe in Storm Lake. The Port of Dubuque. Adventureland was already mentioned but I'll mention it again because it's only a mile from my home :) Also the Science Center here in Des Moines. And last but not least...the State Fair.

easinpc
by Emily on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM

The Ledges up by Boone or Lake Red Rock by Pella are fun places to go too.  There is a Wildlife Refuge just outside of Prairie City that has a cool building to walk thru and a couple of trails (couple miles long) that you can walk on that take you down by the enclosure where the buffalo & elk are (you can also drive thru this enclosure). 

meam4444
by Representative on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I love Pella...it is such a cute town. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN