Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will You Be Doing Any Baking This Valentine's Day?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

Will you be doing any baking this Valentine's Day? If so, what will you be making?

Gorgeous Valentine’s Day Cake Recipe With Surprise Heart Inside

Posted by Lindsay Mannering

valentine's day cakeWant a Valentine's Day recipe that will really blow everyone away? Try making this amazing cake with a surprise red heart on the inside. From the outside, it just looks like a delicious white cake, then when you cut into it, boom, everyone's eyes widen when they see the hidden heart inside. Bonus points if you make this for your son or daughter's school V. Day party -- your dedication to the craft of thoughtful sweet treats cannot be denied.

All right. Before we get too far into this recipe, let me start by saying there are many steps. It's not hard, per se, but it's involved. That being said, below are the recipes for the amazing white cake and red velvet cake (used for inner heart), but you should head over to IamBaker for detailed instructions on how to execute the awesome dessert.

OK! Here we go:

Instructions:

Make four 9-inch pans of white cake and one 9 x 13-inch pan of red velvet cake.

Recipe for the red velvet cake:

3 1/3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 tablespoons red food coloring
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and lightly flour three 9 x 2-inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with waxed paper.

To make the cake:
In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.

In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in three parts, alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.

In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.

Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the layers cool in the pans for 1 hour. Remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.

For the white cake:

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into cake pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (for round cake), or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Also, if you don't feel like making the heart inside, you could always use the red velvet cake crumbs to form a heart on top of the icing on the outside of the cake. It's a great shortcut.

Enjoy!

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
easinpc
by Emily on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM

That cake looks awesome!  I made some m&m cookies :)

meam4444
by Representative on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Probably not, but I am thinking about ordering some super super yummy red velvet cupcakes from a bakery.

luvslilacs
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I'm going to make my first attempt at a from scratch carrot cake.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Emily on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I love the frosting/topping on carrot cake.  Lol to me its the best part of the cake :)

Quoting luvslilacs:

I'm going to make my first attempt at a from scratch carrot cake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)