Super Delicious, Crazy Adorable Fake Hostess Cupcakes Recipe
If you're bummed that Hostess has officially closed it's doors, dry your Twinkie and Cupcake-loving eye: I have an unbelievably adorable, super delicious fudgy chocolate cupcake recipe for you. And it looks just like your beloved Hostess Cupcakes. In fact, some even refer to these as "Fauxstess Cupcakes."
Even if you could care less about cupcakes, you should try this recipe. It's divine. Unless of course you're not interested in sampling a yummy, rich, chocolatey cupcake with marshmallow filling. Then by all means, skip this.
Fake Hostess Cupcake Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box of your favorite chocolate cake (you've got a lot of other work to do here)
For the filling and frosting swirl:
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. cream or milk
For the chocolate glaze:
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Make cupcakes according to directions. Allow to cool in the pan about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling:
1. Combine the marshmallow creme and butter in a mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed until smooth.
2. Blend in the confectioners’ sugar and salt and whip until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes more. Transfer the majority of the filling mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip, reserving 1/2 cup in the mixing bowl.
3. Blend in the cream to the reserved filling mixture to make it smooth for piping the swirl on top of the cupcake. Transfer this to another pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Chill until ready to use.
4. Fill the cupcakes by inserting the pastry tip directly into the center of each cupcake and squeezing in a dollop of the marshmallow mixture. If excess filling comes out of the top, just scrape it off with a knife so the top of the cupcake is essentially smooth.
For the glaze:
1. Make the chocolate glaze by placing the chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan or the microwave. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand 1-2 minutes.
2. Whisk together until a smooth ganache forms. Let cool briefly, about 5 minutes.
3. Take the cupcakes one at a time and invert them, dipping the top into the chocolate glaze. Transfer them to a wire rack or baking sheet and let the glaze set. (You can speed this process up by chilling in the refrigerator.)
4. Once the glaze is set, use the reserved portion of marshmallow frosting to pipe a uniform swirl across the top of each cupcake. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Image via tawest64/Flickr