Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey. I'd like your opinion please. ETA some pts to chores

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 11 Replies

If you recall, I'm planning on implementing a reward system for chores. After this morning, I've come up with a couple ideas and just wanted to what your opinions on it.

I know a lot of people don't agree with rewarding kids for chores they should already be doing, but I reward myself so what's the difference lol

So first off, I'm coping Milo's school. We have started a green light red light sort of thing. You start the day off on green. Green is good. You want to stay on good. So next is Yellow. Kind of like a warning. Then of course there is Red. So at home this is my thought for our system. Each kid will start the day out on green. Since there has been a theme of not listening and only playing in the mornings which in turn causes us to be late, I've decided that if they do not do what they are supposed to be doing in the morning to get ready for school, its automatic yellow. Otherwise this is how it will work. If I tell them to do something, they should do it the first time. If not, they get a second chance. If they still haven't done it, then time out. 3 time outs mean a move to the next color. If they happen to reach red, then they are no longer eligible to receive reward points for their chores but are still expected to do those chores. If they don't, then I'm thinking time out in their room alone. Maybe grounded to their room for a certain amount of time.

Here are the rewards I've come up with. I need some help coming up with the cost.

Reward Bucket - the points will vary depending upon the item.

Trip to Science Center - 500 pts  

Trip to Movie Theatre - 250 pts

exempt from 1 chore of choice for 1 day - 50 pts

Build A Bear - 650 pts

have friend over -  25pts

outing with a friend - 150 pts

I'm just not too sure about the points on some of these.

I'm also trying to figure out how many points they get for these chores.

make bed - 1pt

pick up toys - 2pts

pick up bedroom - 3pts

homework - 3pts

vacuum bedroom - 2pts

scoop litter boxes - 2pts

take garbage out - 1pt

take recycling out - 1pt

clear off table after meals - 2pts

set the table - 2pts

put own laundry away - 3pts

empty trash cans through out house - 2pts

Any others you can think of?

I was originally thinking just 1 pt per chore, but not too sure about that.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krn210
by Kristin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Maybe the chores that they really drag their feet todo could be worth like 3pts while the others are worth 2pts? 

Ferrari
by Felicia on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

They drag their feet on pretty much all of them lol

Quoting krn210:

Maybe the chores that they really drag their feet todo could be worth like 3pts while the others are worth 2pts? 

king04
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I like this idea, how old are they?

Ferrari
by Felicia on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

They are currently 2, 4, and 6. Birthdays are coming up quickly lol

Quoting king04:

king04
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

lol yea mine are 2,4 I am trying to come up with a schedule, chore list and discipline as my two are getting pretty bad about listening, saying no, yelling and screaming all the things kds normally do.

Quoting Ferrari:

Quoting king04:

krn210
by Kristin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Lol! I figured as much. I remember negotiating with my Mom. 

Quoting Ferrari:

Quoting krn210:

Ferrari
by Felicia on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

That's how my 2 oldest are. Its gotten bad and its time for a change. I got some ideas off of pinterest. I'm going to hit up Dollar Tree and get 3 8x10 frames and put their to do lists in them. Then its dry ease :-) and cute. Going to use some of my ribbon to attach dry erase markers and add their names it as well. This way, I don't have to print off a new chore list every week. I'll only have to do a new checklist if anything changes.

I noticed that my oldest son's school does the red light thing and it really works, so I'm just adapting it for home. I'm going to get material to make a bord for it and the plan will be for them to move their card to the next color when it needs to go.

Quoting king04:

lol yea mine are 2,4 I am trying to come up with a schedule, chore list and discipline as my two are getting pretty bad about listening, saying no, yelling and screaming all the things kds normally do.

Quoting Ferrari:

Quoting king04:

Ferrari
by Felicia on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yeah me too, but they don't even try to negotiate. They just flat out tell me no.

Quoting krn210:

Lol! I figured as much. I remember negotiating with my Mom. 

Quoting Ferrari:

Quoting krn210:

easinpc
by Emily on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Maybe base the points available on how long each chore should take and the level of work involved.  For the longer chores that require more work have them worth like 3 points and go down from there?

Sweets32285
by Jen on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I like the idea.  Mine are 4 and 7, I need to figure something out with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)